A 13-month-old girl presented with a large malignant rhabdoid liver tumor that ruptured soon after admission. Six years after an emergency right hepatectomy and subsequent chemotherapy (ifosfamide, vincristine, and actinomycin D), she remains well and disease free. Previously, these rare tumors invariably have been fatal and resistant to multimodal therapy. This is the first report of long-term survival of a patient with a malignant rhabdoid liver tumor. J Pediatr Surg 37:1488-1490. Copyright 2002, Elsevier Science (USA). All rights reserved.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Liver tumors.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2000; 9: 196-208
- Infantile sarcoma with intracytoplasmic filamentous inclusions. Distinctive tumour of possible histiocytic origin.Cancer. 1982; 49: 2365-2375
- Primary hepatic malignant tumour with rhabdoid features. A histological, immunocytochemical and electron microscopic study of four cases and review of literature.Am J Surg Pathol. 1996; 20: 1394-1400
- Histopathology and prognosis of Wilms tumour: Results from the first national Wilms' Tumor Study.Cancer. 1978; 41: 1937-1948
- Primitive extracranial rhabdoid tumours. Clinicopathologic features and response to Ifosfamide.Cancer. 1993; 71: 2653-2659
- Spontaneous rupture of a malignant rhabdoid tumour of the liver.Pediatr Surg Int. 1998; 14: 111-112
- Pathological case of the month. Primary hepatic malignant tumour with rhabdoid features.Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 1998; 152: 509-510
- Translocation (8;13)(q24.2;q33) in a malignant rhabdoid tumor of the liver.Cancer Genet Cytogenet. 2000; 116: 153-157
- Secretion of vasointestinal peptide by a primary liver tumour with rhabdoid features.J Surg Oncol. 1993; 54: 267-270
- Primary malignant rhabdoid tumour of the liver.Can Assoc Radiol J. 1993; 44: 52-54
- Malignant rhabdoid tumour of the liver diagnosed by fine needle aspiration cytology. A case report.Acta Cytologica. 1997; 41: 539-543
- Improved outcome for children with hepatoblastoma.Br J Surg. 1995; 82: 386-391
- Spontaneous rupture of hepatocellular carcinoma.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 602-607
☆Address reprint requests to M.D. Stringer, MS, FRCS, Children's Liver Centre, Gledhow Wing, St James's University Hospital, Leeds LS9 7TF, England.
© 2002 Published by Elsevier Inc.