This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
An infant who presented with signs of duodenal atresia had proximal duodenal obstruction by upper gastrointestinal barium study, but had a small amount of air in the distal bowel. Exploration showed an annular pancreas and microperforation of a duodenal diaphragm. Prior to concluding that pancreaticobiliary duct anomalies are the path of air into the distal bowel in patients with duodenal atresia, microperforation of a duodenal diaphragm must be excluded.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Congenital intrinsic duodenal obstruction: Problems in the diagnosis and management.J Pediatr Surg. 1989; 24: 1247-1249
- Neonatal Surgery. Appleton-Century-Crafts, New York, NY1969: 292
- Duodenal atresia with gas below the obstruction.Br J Radiol. 1969; 42: 351-353
- Bile duct anomalies associated with duodenal atresia: Paradoxical presence of small bowel gas.Am J Roentgenol Rad Ther Nucl Med. 1972; 116: 577-583
- Duodenal anomalies and the ampulla of vater.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1976; 143: 565-569
- Duodenal atresia with biliary anomalies and unusual gas patterns.J Pediatr Surg. 1977; 12: 763-765
- Duodenal atresia in the newborn.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1974; 48: 141-158
- Zwei fäille von dündarmatresie.Virchows Arch. 1906; 185 ([Pathol Anat]): 208-226
- Atresie des duodenums mit verdopelung des ductus choledochus und pancreaticus.Virchows Arch. 1930; 278 ([Pathol Anat]): 290-294
- Anatomy and embryology of congenital intrinsic obstruction of the duodenum.Am J Surg. 1967; 114: 190-202
- Embryology for Surgeons: The Embryological Basis for Treatment of Congenital Defects. Saunders, Philadelphia, PA1972: 229-289
- Congenital atresia and stenosis of the duodenum: A review compiled from the members of the Surgical Section of the American Academy of Pediatrics.Pediatrics. 1969; 43: 79-83
*Presented at the 24th Annual Meeting of the Pacific Association of Pediatric Surgeons, Hong Kong, May 20–24, 1991.
© 1992 W.B. Saunders Company. All right reserved. Published by Elsevier Inc.