The laparoscopic approach to giant ovarian cysts in pediatric population may be difficult regarding the risk of cyst rupture and limited working space. We herein report a 16-year-old adolescent girl that presented with a giant ovarian cyst. To reduce the limitations of the laparoscopy, we performed laparoscopy after draining the cyst under ultrasonographic guidance. Under local anesthesia, a nephrostomy catheter was placed into the cyst by the Seldinger technique. During laparoscopy, abdominal cavity was explored by the scope and then the nephrostomy catheter was removed. Laparoscopic procedure was completed easily. No pre- and postoperative complications were encountered and the patient was discharged on the second postoperative day. The pathologic examination of the cyst revealed as follicular cyst.
Laparoscopic excision of giant ovarian cysts after ultrasound-guided drainage seems to be safe and applicable treatment modality in children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ovarian cysts in the pediatric population.Semin Pediatr Surg. 1998; 7: 19-28
- A randomized prospective study of laparoscopy and laparotomy in the management of benign ovarian masses.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 177: 109-114
- Management of ovarian cysts.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004; 83: 1012-1021
- Laparoscopic management of large ovarian cysts: more than cosmetic considerations.Hong Kong Med J. 2004; 10: 139-141
- Laparoscopic surgery of dermoid cysts—intraoperative spillage and complications.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2004; 96: 80-84
- Laparoscopic excision of large ovarian cysts.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2002; 28: 290-294
- Alternate methods for laparoscopic management of adnexal masses greater than 10 cm in diameter.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech. 2001; 11: 125-131
- Combined ultrasonographically guided drainage and laparoscopic excision of a large ovarian cyst.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1996; 175: 1377-1378
- Laparoscopic management following ultrasonograhic-guided drainage in a patient with giant paraovarian cyst.Surg Endosc. 2004; 18: 346
- Adnexal masses in teenagers.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2000; 13: 145-146
- Ovarian cysts in neonates, children and adolescents.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2002; 14: 459-465
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.