Traumatic tracheoesophageal fistula is a rare complication after blunt chest trauma, with all reported cases being more than 12 years of age. We report a 5-year-old boy with traumatic tracheoesophageal fistula after a blunt injury to the chest.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tracheoesophageal fistula after blunt chest trauma.Ann Thorac Surg. 1995; 59: 1251-1256
- Acquired tracheoesophageal fistula following blunt trauma to the chest.Asian Cardiovasc Thorac Ann. 2002; 210: 349-350
- Delayed presentation of a tracheoesophageal fistula after blunt chest trauma.Ann Thorac Surg. 1996; 62: 1890-1892
- Tracheoesophageal fistula after blunt chest trauma: successful diagnosis by computer tomography.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2000; 48: 102-103
- Tracheoesophageal fistula following blunt chest trauma: diagnosis in the ICU—the “breathing bag sign”.Chest. 1999; 116: 267
- Traumatic aortic arch transection with supracarinal tracheoesophageal fistula: case report.J Trauma. 1999; 45: 951-953
- Tracheoesophageal fistula following a fall.ANZ J Surg. 2001; 71: 772-773
- A case of tracheoesophageal fistula cured by surgical therapy after blunt trauma received 38 years ago.Kyobu Geka. 1999; 52 ([Japanese]): 1052-1057
- A combined rupture of trachea and esophagus following blunt trauma—a case report.Jpn J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 1998; 46 ([Japanese]): 215-219
- Blunt tracheobronchial injuries: treatment and outcomes.Ann Thorac Surg. 2001; 71: 2059-2065
- The management of traumatic tracheoesophageal fistula caused by blunt chest trauma.Arch Surg. 1970; 100: 681-684
- Thoracic esophageal and tracheal injury following blunt trauma.J Trauma. 1980; 20: 992-995
- Thoracic surgery.in: Pearson G. Cooper J.D. Tracheobronchial trauma. Churchill Livingstone, 2002: 1825
- Benign bronchoesophageal fistula in the adult.Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 73: 911-915
- Intercostal muscle flap to buttress the bronchus at risk and the thoracic esophageal—gastric anastamosis.Ann Thorac Surg. 2005; 80: 1017-1020
© 2006 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.