‘Handlebar hernia' is the name given to a specific type of traumatic abdominal wall hernia (TAWH). It is an uncommon injury, caused by impact of the abdominal wall against a blunt object, often bicycle handlebars. We present a case of handelbar hernia, discuss its investigation and treatment and suggest that immediate surgical repair may not always be required.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Direct abdominal hernia of traumatic origin.JAMA. 1906; 47: 1485
- Traumatic abdominal wall rupture.Br J Surg. 1964; 51: 153-154
- Handlebar hernia: case report and review of the literature.J Trauma. 1994; 36: 438-439
- Traumatic abdominal wall hernia: an unusual bicycle handlebar injury.Pediatr Surg Int. 2003; 19: 746-747
- Handlebar hernia: diagnosis by abdominal computed tomography.Ann Emerg Med. 1990; 19: 182-183
- Handlebar hernia: two cases and review of the literature..Eur J Paediatr Surg. 2004; 14: 133-136
- Successful conservative treatment of a bicycle-handlebar hernia: report of a case.Surg Today. 2007; 37: 349-351
- Handlebar hernia: traumatic abdominal wall hernia with multiple enterotomies. A case report and review of the literature.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 567-569
- Handlebar hernia masquerading as an inguinal haematoma.Hernia. 2002; 6: 39-41
- Handlebar injuries in children: should we raise the bar of suspicion.Am Surg. 2007; 73: 807-810
- A case of a traumatic abdominal wall hernia that could not be identified until exploratory laparoscopy was performed.Pediatr Surg Int. 2005; 21: 54-57
Accepted: December 19, 2007
Received in revised form: November 28, 2007
Received: August 22, 2007
© 2008 Published by Elsevier Inc.