Female hypospadias is a rare malformation. We report on an unusual case that presented with a urethral dimple in the perineum in association with a pelvic soft tissue sarcoma compressing and displacing the urethra. The diagnosis was made by cystoscopy, and, as the patients remained asymptomatic, no treatment was eventually required for her urologic malformation. This is, to our knowledge, the first reported case of female hypospadias associated with a perineal urethral dimple. The possible pathogenesis of the malformation is discussed also in relation to the simultaneous presence of a pelvic mass.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Female hypospadias: a case report.J Paediatr Surg. 1995; 30: 1738-1740
- Large prostatic utricles and related structures, urogenital sinus and other forms of urethrovaginal confluence.J Urol. 1986; l36: 1270-1279
- Congenital intrinsic lesions of the female urethra.in: Stephens F.D. Congenital malformations of the urinary tract. Praeger, New York1983: 150-158
- Congenital anomalies associated with rhabdomyosarcoma: an autopsy study of 115 cases. A report from the Intergroup Rhabdomyosarcoma Study Committee Group.Med Pediatr Oncol. 1988; 16: 33-39
- Inguinal hernia in patients with Ewing sarcoma: a clue to etiology.Med Pediatr Oncol. 2000; 34: 195-199
- Vaginal urethra, clitoridal hypertrophy and accessory phallic urethra: a rare syndrome of female pseudohermaphroditism.J Urol. 1982; l27: 1165-1168
- Reconstruction of the female urethra to allow intermittent catheterization for neurogenic bladders and urogenital sinus anomalies.J Urol. 1985; l33: 478-480
- Reconstructive problems of the vagina and the female urethra.Clin Plast Surg. 1981; 7: 207-234
- Urethral reconstruction in the young female using a perineal pedicle flap.J Pediatr Surg. 1982; 17: 687-694
- Reconstruction of female urethra: versatility, complexity and aptness.J Urol. 2007; 177: 2205-2210
Accepted: March 21, 2008
Received in revised form: March 18, 2008
Received: January 30, 2008
© 2008 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.