A 12-year-old boy presented with a weight of 136 kg and a history of progressive vision loss associated with unremitting pseudotumor cerebri requiring bilateral optic nerve sheath decompression. He underwent laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (RYGBP) without complication. At 36 months post-RYGBP, he has grown 5 cm since the time of surgery, his weight is 6.8 kg above his postoperative nadir weight of 68.2 kg, and his visual acuity has improved with OD 20/100 (preoperative, 20/200) and OS 20/70 (preoperative, 20/100). This case suggests that RYGBP can be performed safely and without stopping linear growth in carefully selected children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prevalence of overweight and obesity among US children, adolescents, and adults, 1999-2002.JAMA. 2004; 291: 2847-2850
- Epidemic increase in childhood overweight, 1986-1998.JAMA. 2001; 286: 2845-2848
- Predicting obesity in young adulthood from childhood and parental obesity.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 869-873
- Cardiovascular risk factors and excess adiposity among overweight children and adolescents: the Bogalusa Heart Study.J Pediatr. 2007; 150: 12.e2-17.e2
- Prevalence of impaired glucose tolerance among children and adolescents with marked obesity.N Engl J Med. 2002; 346: 802-810
- Health consequences of obesity in youth: childhood predictors of adult disease.Pediatrics. 1998; 101: 518-525
- Gastric surgery for pseudotumor cerebri associated with severe obesity.Ann Surg. 1999; 229 ([discussion 40-2]): 634-640
- Effects of surgically induced weight loss on idiopathic intracranial hypertension in morbid obesity.Neurology. 1995; 45: 1655-1659
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: a case report at one-year follow-up.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 1999; 9: 101-106
- A multidisciplinary approach to the adolescent bariatric surgical patient.J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39 ([discussion 6-7]): 442-447
- Continuous negative abdominal pressure device to treat pseudotumor cerebri.Int J Obes Relat Metab Disord. 2001; 25: 486-490
- Bariatric surgery for severely obese adolescents.J Gastrointest Surg. 2003; 7 ([discussion 7-8]): 102-107
- Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Consensus Development Conference Panel.Ann Intern Med. 1991; 115: 956-961
- Vertical banded gastroplasty in the severely obese under age twenty-one.Obes Surg. 1995; 5: 23-33
- One-year outcomes of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for morbidly obese adolescents: a multicenter study from the Pediatric Bariatric Study Group.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41 ([discussion -43]): 137-143
- An update on 73 US obese pediatric patients treated with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: comorbidity resolution and compliance data.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 141-146
- Fatal avian influenza A (H5N1) in a child presenting with diarrhea followed by coma.N Engl J Med. 2005; 352: 686-691
- Short-term outcome in the first 10 morbidly obese adolescent patients in the FDA-approved trial for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007; 45: 465-473
- Initial experience with the adjustable gastric band in morbidly obese US adolescents and recommendations for further investigation.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007; 45: 240-246
- Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in adolescent: safety and efficacy.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 894-897
- Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in morbidly obese adolescents.J Pediatr Surg. 2003; 38: 430-433
☆Supported in part by an unrestricted grant to the Department of Ophthalmology by Research to Prevent Blindness (New York, NY) and the Lions and Lionesses of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN.
© 2008 Published by Elsevier Inc.