Pseudoaneurysms are relatively common in the adult population because of the high volume of procedures requiring large bore arterial access. This experience has allowed adult caregivers to develop simple maneuvers to treat pseudoaneurysms such as ultrasound-guided thrombin injection. However, because of the extremely low volume of pseudoaneurysms seen by pediatric caregivers, this modality has not been well documented in the pediatric population. Here, we present a case of a 13-year-old female who had a stab wound to her left leg and subsequently developed a pseudoaneurysm of the anterior tibial artery that was successfully treated with ultrasound-guided thrombin injection.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A prospective study of ultrasound scan-guided thrombin injection of femoral pseudoaneurysm: a trend toward minimal medication.J Vasc Surg. 2002; 36: 779-782
- Surgery versus non-surgical treatment for femoral pseudoaneurysms.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2006; 25: CD004981
- Ultrasound-guided compression of iatrogenic femoral pseudoaneurysm failure, recurrence, and long-term results.J Vasc Surg. 1995; 22: 425-430
- Ultrasound guided compression therapy in 134 patients with iatrogenic pseudo-aneurysms: advantage of routine duplex ultrasound control of the puncture site following transfemoral catheterization.Vasa. 1997; 26: 110-116
- Postcatheterization femoral artery pseudoaneurysms: therapeutic options. A case-controlled study.Int J Surg. 2008; 6: 214-219
- Ultrasound-guided thrombin injection of iatrogenic femoral pseudoaneurysms: a prospective analysis.Am Surg. 2000; 66: 937-940
- Ultrasound-guided thrombin injection is a safe and durable treatment for femoral pseudoaneurysms.Vasc Surg. 2001; 35: 379-383
- Endovascular treatment of anterior tibial artery pseudoaneurysm following locking compression plating of the tibia.J Orthop Trauma. 2007; 21: 279-282
- Use of a covered stent to treat two large false aneurysms of the anterior tibial artery.J Vasc Surg. 2008; 47: 1090
- A review of vascular surgery in the pediatric population.Pediatr Surg Int. 2007; 23: 1-10
- Percutaneous thrombin embolization of a post-traumatic superficial temporal artery pseudoaneurysm.Pediatr Radiol. 2007; 37: 578-580
- Pseudoaneurysm in children: diagnosis and interventional management.Pediatr Radiol. 2005; 35: 434-439
Accepted: August 18, 2008
Received in revised form: August 16, 2008
Received: July 9, 2008
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.