The association of biliary atresia (BA) and idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) is extremely rare, with only 2 cases being reported in the literature. This report describes the very rare case of a 1-year-old boy with BA complicated with ITP after cholangitis and the successful steroid treatment of ITP. We review the literature on this type of relationship between BA and ITP and discuss the clinical features of this complication. Furthermore, the possible cause of the onset of ITP complicated with BA was explored in this report.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Role of plasma thrombopoietin level in thrombocytopenia of postoperative biliary atresia patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 1195-1199
- A population-base, multisite cohort study of the predictors of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura on children.Pediatrics. 2008; 121: e506-e512
- Cytomegalovirus-associated immune thrombocytopenic purpura after liver transplantation.J Formos Med Assoc. 2007; 106: 327-329
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura-like disease in a postoperative patient of biliary atresia.J Jpn Soc Pediatr Surg. 1993; 29: 1171-1174
- Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura after operation of biliary atresia.J Jpn Soc Pediatr Surg. 1999; 35: 303
- A proposal of new classification of biliary atresia.J Jpn Soc Pediatr Surg. 1976; 12: 327-331
- A role of autoantibody-mediated platelet destruction in thrombocytopenia in patients with cirrhosis.Hepatology. 2003; 37: 1267-1276
- Prediction of response to splenectomy in patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.World J Surg. 2008; 32: 488-493
- Intracranial hemorrhage in children with immune thrombocytopenic purpura.Ann Hematol. 2000; 79: 691-695
- Steroid-refractory chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with hepatitis C virus infection.Eur J Haematol. 2002; 68: 49-53
- The effect of platelet autoantibodies on the course of the disease and clinical response of patients with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.Int J Lab Hematol. 2007; 30: 58-64
- Detection of platelet-associated immunoglobulins by flow cytometry for the diagnosis of immune thrombocytopenic purpura: a prospective study and critical review.Haematologica. 2000; 85: 327-331
- Nodular regenerative hyperplasia associated with idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura in a young girl: a case report and review of the literature.J Pediatr Gastr Nutr. 2005; 41: 251-255
Accepted: September 29, 2008
Received in revised form: September 28, 2008
Received: June 18, 2008
☆This study was not supported by any grants.
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.