Giant fibroadenoma (GF) is an uncommon variant of fibroadenomas that represent the most frequent breast lesion in adolescents and young women.
The authors present 2 cases of GF of the breast in girls aged 12 and 14 years, and the respective diagnostic workup and conservative surgical treatment. Giant fibroadenomas are benign tumors, but their rapid growth and large size together with their rarity may determine difficulties in the clinical approach. Moreover, GF must be excised in all cases to exclude a phyllodes tumor and to prevent later deformity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Management of benign tumors of the adolescent breast.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2007; 120: 13e-19e
- A giant juvenile fibroadenoma in a 12-year-old girl: a case for breast conservation.Breast J. 2000; 6: 418-420
- Benign breast lesions in adolescent girls: an overview with a case report.Pediatr Surg Int. 2005; 21: 381-382
- Giant fibroadenoma of one breast: immediate bilateral reconstruction.J Plast Reconstr Aesth Surg. 2007; 60: 1156-1157
- Benign tumors of the teenage breast.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2000; 105: 218-222
- Disorders of the breast in children and adolescents, part 2: breast masses.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2006; 19: 415-418
- Reduction mammoplasty for benign phyllodes tumor in an adolescent female—a 13-year follow up.Breast. 2006; 15: 550-553
- Gray scale sonography of breast masses in adolescent girls.J Ultrasound Med. 2001; 20: 491-496
- Fine-needle aspiration of breast masses. A review of its role in diagnosis and management in adolescent patients.J Adolesc Health. 1998; 23: 3-6
- Surgical treatment of phyllodes tumors of the breast: retrospective review of 172 cases.J Surg Oncol. 2005; 91: 185-194
Accepted: November 10, 2008
Received in revised form: November 10, 2008
Received: August 26, 2008
☆The study was partially supported by a grant from “Fondazione Cariparo.”
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.