Laparoscopic approaches to giant ovarian cysts, particularly in adolescents, have critical management concerns as follows: risk of malignancy, risk of cyst rupture, and limited working space.
A 15-year-old girl presented with a giant (>25 cm) ovarian serous cyst adenoma containing 7 L of fluid. At open laparoscopy, a giant, entirely cystic, smooth mass originating from the right ovary and lying between the symphysis and the xiphoid was observed. After intraabdominal fluid aspiration, open conservative cystectomy was performed, avoiding spillage. The patient made an uneventful postoperative recovery and was discharged on the second postoperative day.
To our knowledge, this is the largest ovarian cyst treated conservatively in an adolescent. Minimal access surgery, laparoscopy and open cystectomy, can be safely proposed in this group of patients.
Conservative surgery should always be evaluated for preservation of ovarian function in cases of giant ovarian cysts in adolescents.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Laparoscopic excision of a giant ovarian cyst after ultrasound-guided drainage.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: E9-E11
- Laparoscopic excision of large ovarian cysts.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2002; 28: 290-294
- Gynecologic malignancies in women aged less than 25 years.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 105: 1405
- Diagnosis and management of organic ovarian cysts: indications and procedures for laparoscopy.Hum Reprod Update. 1996; 2: 435-446
- Laparoscopic extirpation of a giant ovarian cyst.Surg Endosc. 2002; 16: 361
- A randomized prospective study of laparoscopy and laparotomy in the management of benign ovarian masses.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997; 177: 109-114
- Laparoscopic management of large ovarian cysts: more than cosmetic considerations.Hong Kong Med J. 2004; 10: 139-141
- Laparoscopic management of a large ovarian cyst in an adolescent. A case report.J Reprod Med. 2000; 45: 231-234
- Minimal access approach to the management of large ovarian cysts.Surg Endosc. 2007; 21: 80-83
- Is the stripping technique a tissue-sparing procedure in large simple ovarian cysts in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 1353-1357
Accepted: March 4, 2009
Received in revised form: February 3, 2009
Received: September 30, 2008
Published by Elsevier Inc.