Congenital H-type rectovaginal fistulas and single ectopic bilateral ureters are each rare malformations. We describe a baby girl with a congenital rectovaginal fistula diagnosed 2 years after correction of single ectopic bilateral ureters. To our knowledge, this is the first association of these entities. Repair of fistula was complicated by recurrence, requiring a second procedure. The recommended operation for this anomaly requires separating the suture lines on the vagina and rectum. The practice of simply oversewing and then buttressing the suture lines is probably not sufficient.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ectopic anus in the female.Acta Chir Scandinav. 1959/1960; 118: 466-478
- H-type anorectal malformations: incidence and clinical characteristics.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 559-562
- Double termination of the alimentary tract in females: a report of 12 cases and a literature review.J Pediatr Surg. 1984; 19: 292-296
- Double termination of the alimentary tract in female infants.J Pediatr Surg. 1969; 4: 237-243
- Congenital H-type vestibuloanorectal fistula.Pediatr Surg Int. 1995; 10: 481-484
- Preliminary report on the International Conference for the Development of Standard for the Treatment of Anorectal Malformations.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 1521-1526
- Double termination of the alimentary tract—a second look.J Pediatr Surg. 1980; 15: 623-627
- Congenital “H-type” ano-urethral fistula.Radiology. 1974; 113: 397-407
- “H-Type” urethroanal fistula.J Pediatr Surg. 1977; 12: 95102
- Spectrum of ectopic ureters in children.Pediatr Surg Int. 2008; 24: 819-823
Accepted: July 22, 2009
Received in revised form: July 22, 2009
Received: April 17, 2009
© 2009 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.