We report the case of a 15-year-old girl diagnosed with mucinous cystadenoma 3 years after ovarian-sparing surgery for a mature teratoma located in the same ovary. Ovarian teratoma is the most common ovarian neoplasm in children, whereas mucinous cystadenoma is extremely rare during childhood.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Tumors of the ovary, maldeveloped gonads, fallopian tube, and broad ligament.in: Rosai J. Atlas of tumor pathology. Third series, fascicle 23. Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, Washington DC1998
- Tavassoli F.A. Devilee P. World Health Organization classification of tumours pathology and genetics of tumour of the breast and female genital organs. IARC Press, Lyon2003: 163-171
- Surgery for ovarian masses in infants, children, and adolescents: 102 consecutive patients treated in a 15-year period.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 693-699
- Endometrial cyst, dermoid cyst and mucinous cystadenoma sonographically evidenced in the same ovary.Gynecol Obstet Invest. 1989; 27: 160-163
- The management of mature cystic teratomas in children and adolescents: a retrospective analysis.Hum Reprod. 2000; 15: 2669-2672
- Mucinous tumors of the ovary: a review.Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2005; 24: 4-25
- Review of 1019 benign ovarian neoplasms.Obstet Gynecol. 1960; 16: 479-482
- Mucinous cystadenomas and mucinous cystadenocarcinomas of the ovary; a clinical and pathological study of 355 cases.Cancer. 1954; 7: 302-310
- The pathological assessment of ovarian neoplasms. I: introduction to the common ‘epithelial’ tumours and analysis of benign ‘epithelial’ tumours.Pathology. 1979; 11: 5-26
- Mucinous cystadenoma of the ovary in perimenarchal girls.Pediatr Surg Int. 2006; 22: 224-227
- Ovarian mucinous cystadenoma with mural node of anaplastic carcinoma.J Korean Med Sci. 1998; 13: 680-684
- Histology of benign borderline ovarian cysts and subperitoneal dystrophic cysts.J Gynecol Obstet Biol Reprod (Paris). 2001; 30: S12-S19.
- Management of ovarian dermoid cysts in the pediatric and adolescent population.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2009; 22: 360-364
- Epithelial ovarian tumors in children: a retrospective analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2003; 38 (discussion 331-5.): 331-335
- Laparoscopic management of a large recurrent benign mucinous cystadenoma of the ovary.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2008; 277: 379-380
- Voluminous mucinous cystadenoma of the ovary in a 13-year-old girl.J Pediatr Adolesc Gynecol. 2005; 18: 419-422
- Recurrent mucinous cystadenoma in a 20-year-old woman: was hysterectomy inevitable?.J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2006; 32: 615-618
- Ovarian mucinous cystadenoma with mural node of anaplastic carcinoma.J Korean Med Sci. 1998; 13 (9): 680-684
- Clear cell carcinoma of the ovary arising in a mucinous cystadenoma.J Clin Pathol. 2000; 53: 938-939
- Choriocarcinoma of the ovary associated with mucinous cystadenoma.Radiat Med. 2001; 19: 55-59
- Granulosa cell tumor and mucinous cystadenoma arising in a mature cystic teratoma of the ovary: a unique case report and review of literature.Ann Diagn Pathol. 2004; 8: 96-101
- Malignant epithelial tumors of the ovary in childhood: a clinicopathological study of 13 cases in Great Britain 1962-1978.Gynecol Oncol. 1984; 19: 290-297
- Ovarian borderline mucinous tumor in a premenarchal girl: review on ovarian epithelial cancer in young girls.Gynecol Oncol. 1992; 45: 219-224
- Consensus statement on management of intersex disorders.Pediatrics. 2006; 118: 488-500
Accepted: May 10, 2010
Received in revised form: May 8, 2010
Received: February 26, 2010
☆Conflict of interest statement: none.
© 2010 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.