Systemic polyarteritis nodosa (PAN) is a rare disease in childhood affecting small and midsized arteries. The typical presentation in children is of isolated 1- or 2-organ involvement, and the diagnosis is often based on the histopathology. We report a case of pediatric PAN whose presenting symptom was jejunal obstruction owing to ischemic necrosis of the small bowel. The postoperative recovery was uneventful, and the patient responded well to steroid therapy. There are only a few cases of PAN with intestinal involvement described in the literature, some of them fatal. The diagnosis of PAN should be considered in children with acute intestinal obstruction with no obvious etiology, as early recognition and treatment may reduce its high mortality.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Juvenile polyarteritis: results of a multicenter survey of 110 children.J Pediatr. 2004; 145: 517-522
- EULAR/PReS endorsed consensus criteria for the classification of childhood vasculitides.Ann Rheum Dis. 2006; 65: 936-941
- Paediatric enteritis as a presentation of infantile polyarteritis nodosa.Pediatr Surg Int. 1992; 7: 392-393
- Fatal polyarteritis nodosa with massive mesenteric necrosis in a child.Clin Rheumatol. 1999; 18: 88-90
- Mesenteric vascular occlusion resulting in intestinal necrosis in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 1161-1164
- Intestinal perforation as an initial presentation of polyarteritis nodosa in an 8-year-old boy.J Pediatr Surg. 1993; 28: 632-634
- Intestinal perforation due to polyarteritis nodosa.Indian J Pediatr. 2001; 68: 297-298
- Gastrointestinal involvement in pediatric polyarteritis nodosa.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2007; 44: 274-278
Accepted: March 25, 2011
Received in revised form: January 25, 2011
Received: June 10, 2010
© 2011 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.