Angiodysplasia (vascular malformations) of the colon is extremely rare in children, and, as in adults, present with lower gastrointestinal hemorrhage. Here we report an unusual pediatric case of angiodysplasia of the terminal ileum and cecum presenting as an acute abdomen with radiological features suggestive of lymphoma.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- RJ. Lower intestinal bleeding in the elderly.Am J Surg. 1979; 137: 57-64
- Angiodysplasia of the colon in children.J Pediatr Surg. 1995; 30: 72-75
- Intestinal angiodysplasia: an uncommon cause of gastrointestinal bleeding in children.Pediatr Neonatol. 2011; 52: 214-218
- Colonic vascular ectasias and aortic stenosis: coincidence or causal relationship?.Am J Surg. 1986; 151: 347-351
- Angiodysplasia of colon in a seven-year-old boy: a rare cause of intestinal bleeding.J Postgrad Med. 2007; 53: 278-279
- Gastrointestinal angiodysplasia in chronic renal failure.Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2008; 19: 809-812
- Ileal stenosis due to arteriovenous malformation in a newborn infant.J Pediatr Surg. 1982; 17: 78-79
- Ileal perforation due to arteriovenous malformation in a premature infant.J Pediatr Surg. 1990; 25: 701-703
- Armed Forces Institute of Pathology, American Registry of Pathology, Washington, DC2000: 344 Atlas of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy & Endoscopic Biopsies.
- Mesenchymal tumors of the GI tract.in: Odze R.D. Goldblum J.R. Crawford J.M. Surgical Pathology of the GI Tract, Liver, Biliary Tract, and Pancreas. Saunders, Philadelphia2004: 521
- Angiodysplasia mimicking colon cancer: colonoscopy, double contrast barium enema, and CT findings.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2007; 188: W456-W458
- A pseudotumoral angiodysplasia.Endoscopy. 2009; 41: E140-E141
- Gastric cancer mimicking angiodysplasia.Endoscopy. 2004; 36: 376
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor mimicking arteriovenous malformation of the jejunum.Case Rep Gastroenterol. 2011; 5: 558-564
- Accuracy of helical computed tomographic angiography for the diagnosis of colonic angiodysplasia.Gastroenterology. 2000; 119: 293-299
- Angiodysplasia. Clinical presentation and colonoscopic diagnosis.Dig Dis Sci. 1984; 29: 481-485
Accepted: June 24, 2012
Received in revised form: June 2, 2012
Received: February 5, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.