Retroperitoneal lipoblastomas are rare tumors found in young pediatric patients. Despite their large size at presentation, complete resection is usually achieved with minimal complications. Diagnosis is typically made after pathologic examination of the operative specimen, and cytogenetic analysis may be a key component in differentiating lipoblastoma from other lipomatous tumors. We present one such case of a large, retroperitoneal lipoblastoma and discuss the management of this uncommon entity.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Benign lipoblastomatosis. An analysis of 35 cases.Cancer. 1973; 32: 482-492
- Lipoblastoma in infancy and childhood.J Surg Oncol. 1986; 32: 238-244
- Contemporary management of lipoblastoma.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 1295-1300
- Lipoblastoma/lipoblastomatosis: a clinicopathologic study of 25 tumors.Am J Surg Pathol. 1997; 21: 1131-1137
- Surgical management of lipoblastoma.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: 1067-1071
- Lipoblastoma: an embryonal tumor of soft tissue related to organogenesis.Semin Diagn Pathol. 1994; 11: 98-103
- Lipoblastoma: pathophysiology and surgical management.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 229-231
- Lipoblastoma: clinical features, treatment, and outcome.World J Surg. 2010; 34: 1517-1522
- Lipoblastoma and lipoblastomatosis in infancy and childhood: histopathologic, ultrastructural, and cytogenetic features.Ultrastruct Pathol. 2001; 25: 321-333
- Is surgical treatment of lipoblastoma always necessary?.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 1511-1513
- Lipoblastomatosis combined with intestinal neuronal dysplasia.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1998; 122: 191-193
- Fetal retroperitoneal lipoblastoma: ultrasonographic appearance of a rare embryonal soft tissue tumor.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2010; 23: 1069-1071
- Retroperitoneal lipoblastoma involving the right common iliac artery and vein.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2003; 13: 268-271
Accepted: July 31, 2012
Received in revised form: July 13, 2012
Received: April 13, 2012
☆Disclosures: The authors have no disclosures of funding or financial support with respect to the preparation of this manuscript.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.