Spinal anesthesia (SA) is becoming increasingly popular among pediatric anesthetists. Postdural puncture headache (PDPH) has been reported in children. PDPH generally spontaneously resolves within a few days with bed rest and nonopioid analgesics, but it may last for several days. If the symptoms persist, an epidural blood patch is considered as an effective treatment. We describe the successful use of an epidural saline patch in a 10 year-old child with PDPH who did not respond to conservative treatment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Spinal anesthesia in pediatric patients.Minerva Anestesiol. 2012; 78: 78-87
- Epidural blood patch and saline application in children with headache: presentation of 2 case reports.Türk Anest Rean Der Dergisi. 2009; 37: 324-327
- Spinal needle design and size affect the incidence of postdural puncture headache in children.Paediatr Anaesth. 2010; 20: 177-182
- Impact of spinal anesthesia for open pyloromyotomy on operating room time.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44: 1942-1946
- Regional anesthesia is a good alternative to general anesthesia in pediatric surgery: experience in 1,554 children.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 610-613
- Prevention of postdural puncture headache after accidental dural puncture: a quantitative systematic review.Br J Anaesth. 2010; 105: 255-263
- Epidural blood patch with allogeneic blood for post-dural puncture headache.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2005; 14: 261-262
- Blood patches may cause scarring in the epidural space: two case reports.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2011; 20: 347-351
Accepted: July 20, 2012
Received in revised form: July 2, 2012
Received: April 30, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.