Intrathoracic heterotopic liver tissue is an exceedingly rare clinical entity. In most patients, it is associated with other congenital defects, including cardiac anomalies, congenital diaphragmatic hernia, pectus excavatum, and intralobar pulmonary sequestration. Although heterotopic liver could potentially lead to the same benign liver diseases that can affect the mother liver, the association of heterotopic liver tissue with tumors in childhood is extremely rare. We describe a unique case of cystic mesenchymal hamartoma arising from an intrathoracic heterotopic liver that was found incidentally during a diaphragmatic eventration repair. Association of ectopic liver tissue with mesenchymal hamartoma has not previously been reported in the literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ectopic liver.Ann Chir Gynaecol. 1978; 67: 27-29
- Mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver: report of 30 cases and review of the literature.Pediatr Pathol. 1983; 1: 245-267
- Ectopic liver and hepatocarcinogenesis.Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2004; 16: 727-729
- Left-sided congenital diaphragmatic hernia associated with intrathoracic ectopic liver lobe.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2002; 21: 558-560
- Intrathoracic ectopic lobe of liver presenting as pulmonary sequestration.Fetal Pediatr Pathol. 2005; 24: 155-159
- Supradiaphragmatic liver in the lung.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 1986; 110: 1085-1086
- Heterotopic supradiaphragmatic liver combined with intralobar pulmonary sequestration.Ann Thorac Surg. 2008; 85: 1809-1810
- Infantile hemangioendothelioma of heterotopic intrathoracic liver associated with diaphragmatic hernia.Hum Pathol. 1987; 18: 754-756
- Stage IV-S neuroblastoma involving the liver and ectopic liver. Report of an unusual case.Cancer. 1984; 1: 1609-1611
- Mesenchymal hamartomas of the liver: comparison of clinicopathologic features between cystic and solid forms.J Korean Med Sci. 2006; 21: 63-68
- Long-term follow up of mesenchymal hamartoma of liver—single center study. Saudi.J Gastroenterol. 2011; 17: 20-22
- Malignant transformation of mesenchymal hamartoma of the liver: case report and review of the literature.J Pediatr Surg. 1999; 34: 1684-1686
- Intrathoracic accessory lobe of the liver.J Clin Ultrasound. 1993; 21: 143-146
Accepted: July 20, 2012
Received in revised form: June 29, 2012
Received: March 30, 2012
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.