Lymphoepithelial cyst (LEC) of the pancreas is almost always reported as a case report or in small series mostly in male adult patients with vague clinical manifestations and difficult pre-operative diagnosis. Between the years 2007 and 2012, two female children with LEC of the pancreas were operated on at the Children's Surgical Unit of Murtala Mohammad Specialist Hospital, Kano in northern Nigeria. Satisfactory outcomes were achieved after distal pancreatectomy and splenectomy in one and a Whipple procedure in the other. This benign lesion of the pancreas should be considered in the differential diagnosis of cystic lesions of the pancreas in children.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Pancreatic tumors in childhood: analysis of 13 cases.J Pediatr Surg. 1990; 10: 1057-1062
- Pancreatic carcinoid in childhood.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 19: 251-271
- Laparoscopic pancreatic resections for solid pseudopapillary tumor in children.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 19: 399-401
Hong Zhou, Wei Cheng, Lam KY, et al. Solid-cystic papillary tumour of the pancreas in children. Pediatr Surg Int. 1;17:614–620.
- Successful treatment of advanced pancreatoblastoma by a pylorus-preserving pancreatoduodenectomy after radiation and high-dose chemotherapy.Pediatr Surg Int. 2010; https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-010-2655-9
- Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas in children: report of a case and review of the literature.Updates Surg. 2010; 62: 69-72
- Solid pseudopapillary tumor of the pancreas: raising awareness of a not so rare pancreatic tumor affecting young females.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 20: 62-65
- Papillary cystic neoplasm of the pancreas: a report of three pediatric cases and literature review.J Ped Surg. 1998; 33/6: 842-845
- Pankreaszyste unter dem Bildeiner sogenannten brancbiogenen zysterom.Pathologe. 1985; 6: 217-219
Truong LD, Rangdaeng S, Jordan PH. Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas. Am J Surg Pathol. 987;11:899–903.
- Cystic neoplasms of the pancreas: what a clinician should know.Cancer Treat Rev. 2005; 31: 507-535
- Primary pancreatic cystic neoplasms of the pancreas revisited. Part IV: rare cystic neoplasms.Surg Oncol. 2011; xxx: e1-e11
- Tumours of the pancreas. Fascicle 27–28, 1st series.US Armed Forces Institute Pathol. 1959; : 32-33
- Solid/Papillary/Cystic pancreatic epithelial neoplasm in children.World J Surg. 1999; 23/3: 233-236
- Cystic and solid tumours of the pancreas: a pancreatic embryonic tumour? Studies of three cases and a cumulative review of the world's literatutes.Surg. 1995; 118: 821
- Cystic fluid analysis in the differential diagnosis of pancreatic cysts. A comparison of pseudocysts, serous cystadenomas, mucinous cystic neoplasm and mucinous cystadenocarcinomas.Anal Surg. 1993; 217: 41-47
- Pancreatic pseudocysts in children.J Surg Sci. 2007; 1/1: 30-33
- Pancreatic pseudocysts in children.East Afr Med J. 1983; 6: 108-112
- Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas: case report and review of the literature.J Gastrointest Surg. 2004; 8: 342-345
- Lymphoepithelial lesions of the pancreas and peripancreatic region: report of two cases.Surg Today. 1999; 29: 467-471
- Lymphoepithelial cysts of the pancreas: a report of 12 cases and review of the literature.Mod Pathol. 2002; 15/5: 492-501
- Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas: a rare case report and review of the literature.Indian J Surg. 2010; 72/6: 427-432
- Surgical treatment of pancreatic tumors in childhood and adolescence: uncommon neoplasms with favorable outcome.Pancreatology. 2011; 11: 383-389
- Lymphoepithelial cyst of the pancreas: report of a case.Surg Today. 2008; 38/1: 68-71
- A 20-year review of pediatric pancreatic tumors.J Pediatr Surg. 1992; 27/10: 1315-1317
- A comprehensive characterization of lymphoepithelial cyst associated with the pancreas.Am J Surg. 1995; 170: 27-32
- Childhood pancreatic tumors: a single institution experience.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44: 2267-2272
Accepted: October 2, 2012
Received in revised form: October 1, 2012
Received: May 16, 2012
☆Source of support: Nil.
☆☆Conflict of interest: None.
© 2012 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.