We report an infant with antenatally detected bilateral hydroureteronephrosis and a penile cyst who was eventually diagnosed with an anterior urethral diverticulum (AUD), subcoronal hypospadias, and posterior urethral valves (PUV) after birth. To our knowledge, there are no reports where all three anomalies have been found to coexist. As per urethral catheterisation was difficult, cystoscopy-guided catheterisation was performed. On retracting the complete foreskin, a subcoronal hypospadias was identified. The AUD was resected partially, and during a cystoscopy for completion of AUD resection, a dilated anterior urethra was found collapsed, and thin PUV were identified and divided. He remains well at nine months with an improving renal cortical thickness. The vesicoureteric reflux had resolved.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Anterior urethral valves and diverticula.BJU. 2003; 92: 506-509
- Posterior urethral valves and other urethral abnormalities.in: Thomas D.F.M. Duffy P.G. Rickwood A.M.K. Essentials of urology. Informa UK Ltd, 2008: 109-120
- Hypospadias.in: Thomas D.F.M. Duffy P.G. Rickwood A.M.K. Essentials of urology. Informa UK Ltd, 2008: 213-231
- Congenital anterior urethral diverticulum.Singapore Med J. 1988; 29: 171-175
- Anterior urethral valves and diverticula in children: a result of ruptured Cowper's duct cyst?.BJU. 2004; 94: 375-378
- Primary reconstruction of a congenital anterior urethral diverticulum.Pediatr Surg Int. 1999; 15: 294-295
- Repair of urethral diverticulum by plication.Urology. 1994; 44: 749-752
- Congenital valves and diverticula of the anterior urethra.Br J Urol. 1969; 2: 228-234
- Congenital anterior urethral diverticulum in children.Pediatr Surg Int. 2000; 16: 563-568
- Congenital anterior urethral diverticula in children.Pediatr Surg Int. 1999; 15: 567-569
- Pediatr Surg Int. 1997; 12: 407-409
- Congenital anterior urethral diverticulum: sonographic diagnosis.J Clin Ultrasound. 1996; 24: 543-544
Accepted: September 19, 2012
Received in revised form: September 14, 2012
Received: May 4, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.