The authors report a case of a mesenteric suture granuloma in a 12 year-old-girl who had a small bowel resection for a complicated intussusception at the age of 5 months. At later exploration a whitish round tumor located on the anti-mesenteric side of the intestine was found. Several small intestinal loops also abutted on the tumor. Pathologic examination showed fibrosis and a granuloma containing linear colored braided suture material with multinucleated giant cell. As mesenteric suture granulomas have a complex appearance and mimic a soft tissue tumor during imaging, it is important for a surgeon to know about this condition and to consider the history of previous surgery when evaluating the images of patients presenting with an abdominal or pelvic mass. Suture granulomas separate from previous suture sites have not been described in the literature.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Detecting patient safety indicators: how valid is “foreign body left during procedure” in the Veterans Health Administration?.J Am Coll Surg. 2011; 212: 977-983
- Foreign material in postoperative adhesions.Ann Surg. 1996; 223: 242-248
- Intra-abdominal textiloma. A retained surgical sponge mimicking a gastric gastrointestinal stromal tumor: report of a case.Surg Today. 2008; 38: 552-554
- Suture granuloma of the abdominal wall with intra-abdominal extension 12 years after open appendectomy.World J Gastroenterol. 2009; 15: 4083-4086
- Suture granuloma in rectal anastomosis mistaken for locally recurrent cancer.J Clin Gastroenterol. 1996; 23: 78-79
- Suture granulomas: sonography enables a correct preoperative diagnosis.Ultrasound Med Biol. 2001; 27: 343-350
- Peritoneal responses to implanted fabrics used in operating rooms.Surgery. 1981; 90: 828-834
Accepted: October 23, 2012
Received in revised form: October 20, 2012
Received: July 12, 2012
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.