We present the case of a 6-month-old boy who was referred to us with the chief complaint of intermittent painless gross hematuria. Computed tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen showed a partially calcified soft-tissue mass that was located in the lower pole of the right kidney and extended into the collecting system. Consequently, a partial nephrectomy was performed. The resected specimen showed that the tumor was partially calcified and occupied the renal pelvis. The histological findings suggested a diagnosis of ossifying renal tumor of infancy (ORTI), only 16 cases of which have been reported in the literature. The pathogenesis of this condition has not been well established. ORTI should be considered in the differential diagnosis for infants with gross hematuria and a calcified mass in the pelvicalyceal system.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Ossifying tumor of infantile kidney: report of two cases.Cancer. 1980; 45: 609-612
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy.J Urol. 1986; 135: 120-121
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy: a case report.J Urol. 1992; 147: 1337-1339
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy.J Urol. 1993; 149: 1080-1081
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy: a clinicopathologic study of nine cases.Pediatr Pathol Lab Med. 1995; 15: 745-762
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy: the first Japanese case with long-term follow-up.Pathol lnt. 1998; 48: 151-159
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy presenting as a palpable abdominal mass.Pediatr Radio. 1998; 28: 454-457
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy. Presented at the college of American pathologists 2003 Annual Meeting.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2004; 128: 139-140
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy.Saudi Med J. 2005; 26: 1978-1989
- Ossifying renal tumor of infancy.J Pediatr Urol. 2007; 3: 258-261
Accepted: December 10, 2012
Received in revised form: December 9, 2012
Received: October 10, 2012
© 2013 Published by Elsevier Inc.