The aim of our study was to elucidate if the defect size reflects the magnitude of the developmental defect in patients with CDH.
All patients recorded in the CDH Study Group registry between January 1, 2007, and December 31, 2010, and with defect classification were included in the study. They were divided according to defect size (A–D) and compared for: gestational age (GA), birth weight (BW), number of abnormal organ systems, prevalence of associated anomalies, cardiovascular malformations (CVM), chromosomal anomalies, liver in the chest, and hernia sac.
A total of 1350 of 1778 patients had defect classification: 173 A, 557 B, 438 C, and 182 D. Mortality rate was 0.6%, 5.3%, 22.6%, and 45.6% in group A, B, C, and D, respectively, (p < 0.0001; p for trend < 0.0001). GA, BW, prevalence of associated anomalies, particularly CVM, number of abnormal organ systems, and prevalence of sac were significantly different between the groups, with a significant reduction of GA, BW, and prevalence of sac. There was an increase in prevalence of associated anomalies, liver in the chest, and number of abnormal systems as the defect size increased.
Defect size is directly correlated with mortality rate, prevalence of other anomalies (particularly CVM), and number of abnormal systems, and inversely with GA, BW, and prevalence of hernia sac. The defect size may be a marker for the magnitude of developmental abnormality, thereby explaining its relationship with the outcome.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- A five-year statewide experience with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991; 165: 838-842
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: epidemiology and outcome.Clin Perinatol. 1996; 23: 671-688
- Current surgical management of congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a report from the congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a report from the congenital diaphragmatic hernia study group.J Pediatr Surg. 1998; 33: 1004-1009
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: onset of respiratory distress and size of the defect.Pediatr Surg Int. 2007; 23: 27-31
- Perinatal management of congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Early Hum Dev. 2006; 82: 283-287
- Defect size determines survival in infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: e651-e657
- Long term follow-up in high-risk congenital diaphragmatic hernia survivors: patching the diaphragm affects the outcome.J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46: 52-56
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: long-term risk of gastroesophageal reflux disease.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2010; 51: 448-453
- Patch repair is an independent predictor of morbidity and mortality in congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatr Surg Int. 2011; 27: 969-974
- The congenital diaphragmatic hernia study group: a voluntary international registry.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2008; 17: 90-97
- An association of pulmonary hypoplasia with unilateral agenesis of the diaphragm.J Pediatr Surg. 1993; 28: 999-1002
- Treatment evolution in high risk congenital diaphragmatic hernia. Ten years' experience with diaphragmatic agenesis.Ann Surg. 2008; 244: 505-513
- Pediatr Surg Int. 2004; 20: 509-514
- Remarks on diaphragmatic hernia.BMJ. 1910; 2: 1297-1298
- Experimental study on embryogenesis of congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Anat Embryol (Berl). 1984; 169: 133-139
- Lung development is not necessary for diaphragm development in mice.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 1390-1394
- Pathogenesis of nitrofen-induced congenital diaphragmatic hernia in fetal rats.J Appl Physiol. 1997; 83: 338-347
- The embryology of the diaphragm.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2011; 20: 161-169
- Early lung malformations in congenital diaphragmatic hernia.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 124-128
- Dual-hit hypothesis explains pulmonary hypoplasia in the nitrofen model of congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Am J Pathol. 2000; 156: 1299-1306
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: influence of associated malformations on survival.Arch Dis Child. 1993; 69: 68-70
- Cardiovascular malformations in congenital diaphragmatic hernia: human and experimental studies.J Pediatr Surg. 1999; 34: 1352-1358
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia, what defect?.J Pediatr Surg. 1991; 26: 248-254
- Testicular maldescent and maldevelopment in fetal rats prenatally exposed to nitrofen.Pediatr Surg Int. 1996; 11: 261-265
- Experimental ureterohydronefrosis in fetal rats.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 1247-1251
- The tracheobronchial tree is abnormal in experimental congenital diaphragmatic hernia.Pediatr Surg Int. 1999; 15: 184-187
- Skeletal malformations associated with congenital diaphragmatic hernia: experimental and human studies.J Pediatr Surg. 1999; 34: 1624-1629
- Bronchopulmonary innervation defects in infants and rats with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 360-365
- The heart and diaphragm: target organs in the neonatal death induced by nitrofen (2,4-dichlorophenyl-p-nitrophenyl ether).Toxicology. 1981; 20: 209-227
- Nitrofen-induced diaphragmatic hernias in rats: an animal model.J Pediatr Surg. 1990; 25: 850-854
- Prenatal alcohol exposure and risk of birth defects.Pediatrics. 2010; 126: e843-e850
- Late-presenting congenital diaphragmatic hernia in childhood.Acta Paediatr. 2011; 100: 425-428
- Late-presenting congenital diaphragmatic hernia: diagnostic pitfalls and outcome.Hernia. 2012; 16: 461-466
- Prognostic value of a hernia sac in congenital diaphragmatic.Ultrasound Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 41: 286-290
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: the surgeon's perspective.Pediatr Rev. 1999; 20: 71-78
- Low recurrence rate after Goretex/Marlex composite patch repair for posterolateral congenital diaphragmatic hernia.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 1841-1844
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia: a meta-analysis of mortality factors.J Pediatr Surg. 2000; 35: 1187-1197
- Congenital diaphragmatic hernia and associated anomalies. Their incidence, identification, and impact on prognosis.J Pediatr Surg. 1994; 29: 1113-1117
- Influence of congenital heart disease on survival in children with congenital diaphragmatic hernia.J Pediatr. 2002; 141: 25-30
Accepted: March 8, 2013
Received: February 17, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.