The distribution of ganglion cells in the transition zone of Hirschsprung Disease (HD) colons is extremely variable. Determining the resection margin based on intraoperative biopsies may be imprecise. Multiphoton microscopy (MPM) is a novel imaging technology with the ability to visualize tissues in real time. In this study, we evaluate the potential of MPM to quantify ganglion cells in a murine model of HD.
After IACUC approval, formalin-fixed colons from 7 wild type (WT) and 6 Endothelin Receptor B gene (EdnrB) homozygous knockout (KO) mice with distal colonic aganglionosis were assessed by MPM for the presence of myenteric ganglion cells. MPM images were captured starting from the anus progressing proximally at 5 mm intervals. Hematoxylin and eosin (H&E) stained biopsies of the imaged were correlated with MPM findings.
WT specimens showed normal myenteric plexus ganglia throughout the examined colon. In contrast, distal colons of EdnrB KO animals were devoid of ganglia up to 10 mm from the anus. Ganglion cells were visible starting at 20–30 mm proximal to the anus. The density of ganglion cells seen by MPM and histology correlated well.
MPM can clearly identify the myenteric plexus ganglia in both WT and KO mouse colons. Comparison with the H&E-stained sections showed reproducible correlation. MPM-based real-time imaging of the myenteric plexus may become a useful intraoperative decision-making tool in the future.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Pediatric Surgery
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Total colonic aganglionosis with or without small bowel involvement: a 30-year retrospective nationwide survey in Japan.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 2226-2230
- Reoperation for Hirschsprung disease: pathology of the resected problematic distal pull-through.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2012; 15: 30-38
- Deep tissue multiphoton microscopy using longer wavelength excitation.Opt Express. 2009; 17: 13354-13364
- In vivo two-photon microscopy to 1.6-mm depth in mouse cortex.J Biomed Opt. 2011; 16: 106014
- Two-photon laser scanning fluorescence microscopy.Science. 1990; 248: 73-76
- Live tissue intrinsic emission microscopy using multiphoton-excited native fluorescence and second harmonic generation.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003; 100: 7075-7080
- Multiphoton Microscopy in the Evaluation of Human Bladder Biopsies.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012; 136: 517-526
- Pilot study of the correlation of multiphoton tomography of ex vivo human testis with histology.J Urol. 2012; 188: 538-543
- Murine model of Hirschsprung-associated enterocolitis. I: phenotypic characterization with development of a histopathologic grading system.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 475-482
- Murine model of Hirschsprung-associated enterocolitis II: Surgical correction of aganglionosis does not eliminate enterocolitis.J Pediatr Surg. 2010; 45: 206-211
- Correlation between radiographic transition zone and level of aganglionosis in Hirschsprung's disease: Implications for surgical approach.J Pediatr Surg. 2003; 38: 775-778
- Immunocytochemistry for neuronal markers shows deficiencies in conventional histology in the treatment of Hirschsprung's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 1993; 28: 1059-1062
- Calretinin immunostaining as an adjunct in the diagnosis of Hirschsprung disease.Ann Diagn Pathol. 2011; 15: 323-328
- Bowel function and gastrointestinal quality of life among adults operated for Hirschsprung disease during childhood: a population-based study.Ann Surg. 2010; 252: 977-981
- Quality of life and disease-specific functioning of patients with anorectal malformations or Hirschsprung's disease: a review.Arch Dis Child. 2011; 96: 398-406
- Laparoscopic seromuscular colonic biopsies: a surgeon's experience.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 381-384
- Spectral imaging for precise surgical intervention in Hirschsprung's disease.J Biophotonics. 2008; 1: 97-103
- Human bladder cancer diagnosis using Multiphoton microscopy.Proc Soc Photo Opt Instrum Eng. 2009; 7161 (nihpa96839)
- Multiphoton microscopy for structure identification in human prostate and periprostatic tissue: implications in prostate cancer surgery.BJU Int. 2011; 108: 1421-1429
- Extracellular matrix remodeling of lung alveolar walls in three dimensional space identified using second harmonic generation and multiphoton excitation fluorescence.J Struct Biol. 2010; 171: 189-196
- Multiphoton imaging can be used for microscopic examination of intact human gastrointestinal mucosa ex vivo.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2008; 6: 95-101
- In vivo multiphoton endoscopy.J Biomed Opt. 2012; 17: 040505
- In vivo imaging of unstained tissues using long gradient index lens multiphoton endoscopic systems.Biomed Opt Expr. 2012; 3: 1077-1085
Accepted: March 8, 2013
Received: February 23, 2013
© 2013 Elsevier Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.