Aim of the Study
Abbreviations:EA (esophageal atresia), PTEF (proximal tracheoesophageal fistula), SD (standard deviation), TEF (tracheoesophageal fistula)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Current knowledge on esophageal atresia.World J Gastroenterol. 2012; 18: 3662-3672
- Gastro-intestinal atresias in Finland in 1970–79, indicating timeplace clustering.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1988; 42: 257-265
- Embryology of oesophageal atresia.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2009; 18: 2-11
- Oesophageal atresia.Orphanet J Rare Dis. 2007; 2: 24
- Esophageal atresia: primary results of 500 consecutively treated patients.J Pediatr Surg. 1983; 18: 217-229
- Adults who survived repair of congenital oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula.BMJ. 1988; 297: 344-346
- Developments in the management of oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistulas.Med J Aust. 1989; 150: 501-503
- Esophageal atresia in Osaka: a review of 39 years' experience.J Pediatr Surg. 1997; 32: 1570-1574
- Esophageal atresia: historical evolution of management and results in 371 patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2002; 73: 267-272
- Esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula. A survey of itds members by the surgical section of the American Academy of Pediatrics.Pediatrics. 1964; 34: 542-549
- Analysis of morbidity and mortality in 227 cases of esophageal atresia and/or tracheoesophageal fistula over two decades.Arch Surg. 1995; 130 ([discussion 508–9]): 502-508
- Oesophageal atresia: at-risk groups for the 1990s.J Pediatr Surg. 1994; 29: 723-725
- Esophageal atresia: prognostic classification revisited.Surgery. 2009; 145: 675-681
- Esophageal atresia without distal tracheoesophageal fistula: high incidence of proximal fistula.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 522-525
- Significance of the clinical course and early upper gastrointestinal studies in predicting complications associated with repair of esophageal atresia.J Pediatr Surg. 2001; 36: 815-822
- The management of long gap esophageal atresia.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 1542-1546
- Oesophageal atresia: improved outcome in high-risk groups?.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: 331-334
- Long gap esophageal atresia and esophageal replacement: moving toward a separation?.J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1084-1090
- Clinical characteristics and treatment of esophageal atresia: a single institutional experience.J Korean Surg Soc. 2012; 83: 43-49
- Esophageal atresia with double fistula: the missed anomaly.Ann Thorac Surg. 1984; 38: 195-200
- Oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula: current management strategies and complications.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2010; 11: 100-106
- Potential hazards of contrast study diagnosis of esophageal atresia.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: E9-E10
- Oesophageal perforation presenting as oesophageal atresia in a premature neonate following difficult intubation.Paediatr Anaesth. 2001; 11: 112-118
- Oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula.in: Freeman N.V. Burge D.N. Griffiths M. Malone P.S.J. Surgery of the Newborn. Churchill Livingstone, 1994: 353-373
- A gasless abdomen does not exclude distal tracheoesophageal fistula: the value of a repeat x-ray.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 576-577
- Oesophageal atresia with proximal tracheo-oesophageal fistula.Pediatr Surg Int. 1987; 2: 212-215
Morrow SE, Ashcraft KW. Esophageal atresia. In: Ziegler MM, Azizkhan RG, Weber TR, editors (eds): Operative pediatric surgery, New York, Mcgraw-Hill, p. 349–54.
- Fatal aspirations in infancy during gastrointestinal series.Pediatr Radiol. 1984; 14: 81-83
- Congenital anomalies of the esophagus.in: Grosfeld J.L. Pediatric Surgery. 6th ed. Elsevier, 2006: 1051-1074
- Esophageal atresia with obstructed tracheoesophageal fistula and gasless abdomen.J Pediatr Surg. 1991; 26: 160-162
- Anomalies of the tracheobronchial tree in patients with esophageal atresia.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 258-262
- Esophageal atresia: five year experience with 148 cases.J Pediatr Surg. 1987; 22: 103-108
- Bronchoscopy in newborns.in: Puri P. Newborn surgery. 1st ed. Butterworth-Heinemann, Oxford, United Kingdom1996: 221-223
- Amnestic agents in pediatric bronchoscopy.Chest. 1999; 116: 1802-1808
- Esophageal atresia: past, present, and future.J Pediatr Surg. 1996; 31: 19
- Preoperative tracheobronchoscopy in newborns with esophageal atresia: does it matter?.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41: 1054-1057
- Endoscopy in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 1981; 90: 376-382
- Crucial bronchoscopic findings in esophageal atresia and tracheoesophageal fistula.J Pediatr Surg. 1988; 23: 466-470
- Sonographic evaluation of oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula.Pediatr Radiol. 2005; 35: 159-164
- Three-dimensional CT of congenital esophageal atresia and distal tracheoesophageal fistula in neonates: preliminary results.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2000; 175: 1403-1407
- Virtual bronchoscopy in children: early clinical experience.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 1998; 171: 1699-1702
- Anatomy of the extrinsic motor nerve supply to mobilized segments of the oesophagus disrupted by dissection during repair of oesophageal atresia with distal fistula.Br J Surg. 1996; 83: 1268-1270
☆Funding source: No funding was necessary for this study.
☆☆Financial disclosure: The authors have no financial relationships relevant to this article to disclose.
☆☆☆Conflict of interest: The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.
★Clinical Trial Registration: Not applicable since the study is a retrospective review.
★★Contributor's statement: Filippo Parolini conceptualized and designed the study, designed the data collection instruments, drafted the initial manuscript, reviewed and revised the manuscript and approved the final manuscript as submitted. Anna Morandi designed the data collection instruments, carried out the initial analysis, drafted, reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. Francesco Macchini designed the data collection instruments, carried out the initial analysis, drafted, reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. Lorena Canazza designed the data collection instruments, drafted, reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. Maurizio Torricelli coordinated and supervised data collection, critically reviewed the manuscript and approved the final manuscript as submitted. Andrea Zanini designed the data collection instruments, drafted, reviewed and revised the manuscript, and the approved final manuscript as submitted. Ernesto Leva conceptualized and designed the study, critically reviewed the manuscript and approved the final manuscript as submitted.
★★★The authors declare that this manuscript has never been published and it will not be submitted to any other journal while under consideration for publication in the Journal of Pediatric Surgery.