Level of evidence
- An international review of head and spinal cord injuries in alpine skiing and snowboarding.Inj Prev. 2007; 13: 368-375
- Helmets for snow sports: prevalence, trends, predictors and attitudes to use.J Trauma. 2010; 69: 1486-1490
- Neurologic injuries in skiers and snowboarders.Semin Neurol. 2000; 20: 233-246
- The increasing incidence of snowboard-related trauma.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 928-930
- Observational study of helmet use among children skiing and snowboarding.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008; 24: 219-221
- Helmets for skiing and snowboarding: who is using them and why.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2013; 74: 895-900
- Code of Colorado regulations - GenerateRulePdf.Do [internet].([cited 2015 Jul 23]. Available from:)
- Alpine ski and snowboarding traumatic injuries: incidence, injury patterns, and risk factors for 10 years.Am J Surg. 2009; 197 ([-564]): 560-563
- Terrain park injuries.West J Emerg Med. 2009; 10: 257-262
- Effect of helmet wear on the incidence of head/face and cervical spine injuries in young skiers and snowboarders.Inj Prev. 2002; 8: 324-327
- Skiing and snowboarding head injuries in 2 areas of the United States.Wilderness Environ Med. 2009; 20: 234-238
- Concussion among youth skiers and snowboarders: a review of the National Trauma Data Bank from 2009 to 2010.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2015;
- J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2012; 73: 1340-1347https://doi.org/10.1097/TA.0b013e318270bbca
- Analysis of head injuries among skiers and snowboarders.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2002; 53: 695-704
- NSAA: skier/snowboarder fatality incidents during 2013–14 season.[September 15, 2014. Accessed September 28, 2016])
- Downhill skiing injury fatalities among children.Inj Prev. 2004; 10: 99-102
- Denver post: skiing deaths in Colorado.[March 16, 2013. Accessed September 28, 2016])
- The impact of education, legislation and service on Alabama child passenger safety.J Trauma. 2007; 63: S25-S28
- Colorado skier visits surge to 12.6 M in 2013–14, set new season record. The Denver Post.(June 12, 2014)http://www.denverpost.com/2014/06/12/colorado-skier-visits-surge-to-12-6m-in-2013-14-set-new-season-record/([Accessed September 28, 2016])
☆Disclosure Statement: Steve Moulton is a co-founder and consultant at Flashback Technologies, Inc.
☆☆Conflict of Interest Statement: The authors declare no conflicts of interest in relation to the content or results of this study.
★Funding: No outside funding was received for this study or for the preparation of the manuscript.