Level of evidence
Type of study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Evaluation and management of pilonidal disease.Surg Clin North Am. 2010; 90: 113-124https://doi.org/10.1016/j.suc.2009.09.006
- Pilonidal disease.Surg Clin North Am. 2002; 82: 1169-1185
- Management of recurrent pilonidal disease.Semin Colon Rectal Surg. 2003; 14: 173-185https://doi.org/10.1053/j.scrs.2004.03.002
- Easy and successful treatment of pilonidal sinus after explanation of its causative process.Aust N Z J Surg. 1992; 62: 385-389
- Pilonidal disease: origin from follicles of hairs and results of follicle removal as treatment.Surgery. 1980; 87: 567-572
- Pilonidal sinus disease.Adv Skin Wound Care. 2016; 29: 469-478https://doi.org/10.1097/01.ASW.0000491324.29246.96
López JJ, Cooper JN, Halleran DR, Deans KJ, Minneci PC. High rate of major morbidity after surgical excision for pilonidal disease. Surg Infect (Larchmt) 2018:sur.2018.020. doi:https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2018.020.
- Prognosis after simple incision and drainage for a first-episode acute pilonidal abscess.Br J Surg. 1988; 75: 60-61https://doi.org/10.1002/bjs.1800750122
Milone M, Velotti N, Manigrasso M, Anoldo P, Milone F, De Palma GD. Long-term follow-up for pilonidal sinus surgery: a review of literature with metanalysis. Surg 2018;16:315–20. doi:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.surge.2018.03.009.
- The psychological wellbeing of patients following excision of a pilonidal sinus.J Wound Care. 2012; 21: 595-600https://doi.org/10.12968/jowc.2012.21.12.595
- Management of pilonidal disease.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2018; 30: 411-416https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0000000000000628
- Minimal excision and primary suture is a cost-efficient definitive treatment for pilonidal disease with low morbidity: a population-based interventional and a cross-sectional cohort study.World J Surg. 2017; 41: 1295-1302https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-016-3828-z
- Minimal surgery for pilonidal disease using trephines: description of a new technique and long-term outcomes in 1,358 patients.Dis Colon Rectum. 2008; 51 (discussion 1662-3): 1656-1662
- Minimally invasive surgery for the treatment of pilonidal disease. The Gips procedure on 2347 patients.Int J Surg. 2016; 36: 201-205https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2016.10.040
- Pilonidal sinus disease: a 10-year review reveals occupational risk factors and the superiority of the minimal surgery trephine technique.Mil Med. 2016; 181: 389-394https://doi.org/10.7205/MILMED-D-14-00729
Palesty JA, Zahir KS, Dudrick SJ, Ferri S, Tripodi G, Doll KM, et al. Evaluation of 60 patients with pilonidal sinus treated with laser epilation after surgery. Dermatologic Surg 2016;31:260–1. doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s00384-008-0476-2.
- Laser epilation is a safe and effective therapy for teenagers with pilonidal disease.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44: 282-285https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2008.10.057
- Karincaog̀lu Y, Koyuncu E, Karncaoğlu Y, Koyuncu E, et al. Evaluation of 60 patients with pilonidal sinus treated with laser epilation after surgery.Dermatol Surg. 2010; 36: 88-91https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4725.2009.01387.x
- Laser hair removal as adjunct to surgery for pilonidal sinus: our initial experience.J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2011; 4: 192-195https://doi.org/10.4103/0974-2077.91251
- Pit-picking resolves pilonidal disease in adolescents.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.10.021
- Pilonidal sinus: a simple treatment.Br J Surg. 1965; 52: 298-300
- Short convalescence and minimal pain after out-patient Bascom's pit-pick operation.Dan Med Bull. 2011; 58: A4348
- Treatment options for pilonidal disease.Am Surg. 2017; 83: 453-457
- Minimal incision as a promising technique for resection of pilonidal sinus in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 1484-1487https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.03.040
- Laser hair depilation in the treatment of pilonidal disease: a systematic review.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2018; 19: 566-572https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2018.099
- Tolerability of laser hair depilation in pilonidal disease: a pilot study.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2017; 18: 890-893https://doi.org/10.1089/sur.2017.153
- Treatment of pilonidal disease with laser epilation.Am Surg. 2006; 72: 534-537
- Control of hair growth using long-pulsed alexandrite laser is an efficient and cost effective therapy for patients suffering from recurrent pilonidal disease.Lasers Med Sci. 2016; 31: 857-862https://doi.org/10.1007/s10103-016-1920-0
- Patient characteristics and symptoms in chronic pilonidal sinus disease.Int J Colorectal Dis. 1995; 10: 39-42
- Pilonidal sinus.N Engl J Med. 1953; 249: 926-930https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM195312032492303
- The management of pilonidal sinus.Dtsch Aerzteblatt Online. 2019; 116: 12-21https://doi.org/10.3238/arztebl.2019.0012
☆How this paper will improve care: Compared to surgical excision, a minimally invasive pilonidal protocol (improved hygiene, outpatient sinusectomy, laser epilation, and close clinical follow-up) reduces charges and increases the percentage of patients who enjoy symptom resolution, thus improving resource utilization and clinical outcomes.