Level of evidence
Abbreviations:American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA), Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Institutional Review Board (IRB), Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU), Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- U.S. opioid prescribing rate maps.https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/maps/rxrate-maps.htmlDate accessed: October , 2018
- Overdose death rates.https://www.drugabuse.gov/related-topics/trends-statistics/overdose-death-ratesDate accessed: October , 2018
- US national trends in pediatric deaths from prescription and illicit opioids, 1999–2016.J Am Med Assoc. 2018; 1https://doi.org/10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2018.6558
- Opioid-related critical care resource use in US children's hospitals.Pediatr. 2018; 141https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-3335
- Outpatient opioid prescriptions for children and opioid-related adverse events.Pediatr. 2018; 142https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-2156
- Trends in medical and nonmedical use of prescription opioids among US adolescents: 1976–2015.Pediatr. 2017; 139https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2016-2387
- Clinical pathway: opioid prescribing practices.Children's Hospital Colorado, Aurora, CO2017
- Veldhuyzen van Zanten S, Inglis K, et al. A randomized controlled trial comparing acetaminophen plus ibuprofen versus acetaminophen plus codeine plus caffeine after outpatient general surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2008; 206: 472-479https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2007.09.006
- Effect of a single dose of oral opioid and nonopioid analgesics on acute extremity pain in the emergency department: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1661-1667https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2017.16190
- Too much of a bad thing: discharge opioid prescriptions in pediatric appendectomy patients.J Surg Oncol. 2018; 53: 2374-2377https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2018.08.034
☆Funding: This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
☆☆Declarations of interest: none.