- •Pediatric Surgery is a highly competitive fellowship and understanding which applicant factors are important for interview selection and ranking per program directors is helpful.
- •Matching in pediatric surgery is complex; from a program director standpoint quality letters of recommendation, publications, support from colleagues, and general leadership and interpersonal skills are important.
Level of evidence
Type of study
Abbreviations:ABSITE (American board of surgery in-training examination), AOA (alpha omega alpha), APSTPD (association of pediatric surgery training program directors), ERAS (electronic residency application service), NRMP (national resident match program), PD (program director), PGY (post-graduate year), PS (pediatric surgery)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Changing demographics of residents choosing fellowships: longterm data from the American board of surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2008; 206 (discussion 8-9): 782-788
- Factors associated with general surgery residents' decisions regarding fellowship and subspecialty stratified by burnout and quality of life.Am J Surg. 2019; 218: 1090-1095
Specialty of Pediatric Surgery Defined | American Board of Surgery n.d. https://www.absurgery.org/default.jsp?aboutpediatricsurgerydefined (accessed November 23, 2021)
National resident matching program, results and data: specialties matching service 2020 appointment year. National resident matching program, Washington, DC. 2020.
- Normalized competitive index: analyzing trends in surgical fellowship training over the past decade (2009–2018).J Surg Educ. 2020; 77: 74-81
- Qualities and characteristics of applicants associated with successful matriculation to pediatric surgery fellowship training.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 55: 2075-2079https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.10.057
- The pediatric surgery match by the numbers: defining the successful application.J Pediatr Surg. 2020;
- How important are American board of surgery in-training examination scores when applying for fellowships?.J Surg Educ. 2010; 67: 149-151
- Utility of onsite interviews in the pediatric surgery match.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 1042-1045
- A survey of the pediatric surgery program directors: optimizing resident research to make pediatric surgery training more efficient.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 1053-1057
- Personality traits within a pediatric surgery fellowship applicant pool.J Surg Res. 2017; 218: 298-305
- Success in the pediatric surgery match: a survey of the 2010 applicant pool.J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46: 957-961
- Cost considerations and applicant characteristics for the pediatric surgery match.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40 (discussion -4): 69-73
- Qualities and characteristics of successfully matched North American HPB surgery fellowship candidates.HPB. 2016; 18 (Oxford): 479-484
- A survey of the complex general surgical oncology fellowship programs regarding applicant selection and rank.Ann Surg Oncol. 2019; 26: 2675-2681
- Exploring the gender gap: letters of recommendation to pediatric surgery fellowship.Am J Surg. 2019;
- Gendered differences in letters of recommendation for transplant surgery fellowship applicants.J Surg Educ. 2019; 76: 427-432
- How clinicians and educators can mitigate implicit bias in patient care and candidate selection in medical education.ATS Sch. 2020; 1: 211-217