- •Management protocols for hypertrophic pyloric stenosis commonly focus on postoperative feeding, with a paucity of data evaluating the benefits of preoperative fluid resuscitation protocols.
- •Implementation of a fluid resuscitation protocol decreases unnecessary preoperative lab draws to monitor electrolyte correction while setting clear expectations and planned interventions for parents.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Current management of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2007; 16: 27-33https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2006.10.004
- Electrolyte profile of pediatric patients with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2013; 29: 465-468https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0b013e31828a3006
- Perioperative care of infants with pyloric stenosis.Paediatr Anaesth. 2015; 25: 1193-1206https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.12792
- A Delphi analysis to reach consensus on preoperative care in infants with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 30: 497-504https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0039-3401987
- Contemporary management of pyloric stenosis.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2016; 25: 219-224https://doi.org/10.1053/j.sempedsurg.2016.05.004
- Perioperative apnea in infants with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: a systematic review.Paediatr Anaesth. 2020; 30: 749-758https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.13879
Seattle Children’s Hospital, Foster, C., Migita, R., Clogston, M., Fenstermacher, S., Ojo, B., Oldroyd, K., Otto, R., Migita, D., 2020 January. Pyloric Stenosis Pathway. Available from: http://www.seattlechildrens.org/pdf/pyloric-stenosis-pathway.pdf [Accessed May 10, 2021].
The Royal Children's Hospital, Melbourne, Australia, Clinical Practice Guideline on Pyloric Stenosis, [Internet, last updated July 2019], Available from: https://wwww.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/ [Accessed May 10, 2021].
- Streamlining the care of patients with hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: application of a clinical pathway.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 1072-1075https://doi.org/10.1053/jpsu.2002.33847
- Optimizing fluid resuscitation in hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1279-1282https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.01.013
- Implementation of a care pathway for infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis reduces length of stay and increases parent satisfaction.Int J Care Coord. 2015; 18: 78-84https://doi.org/10.1177/2053434516636908
- Fluid resuscitation in infantile hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.Acta Paediatr Int J Paediatr. 2001; 90: 511-514https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1651-2227.2001.tb00790.x
- Hypertrophic pyloric stenosis: predicting the resolution of biochemical abnormalities.Pediatr Surg Int. 2011; 27: 695-698https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-010-2813-0
- Corrected to uncorrected? The metabolic conundrum of hypertrophic pyloric stenosis.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 734-738https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2017.01.024
Original article – Poster presentation at the 22nd EUPSA Annual Congress, Athens, Greece, September 1–4, 2021.