- •There is an inverse dose-dependent relationship between FTR and gestational age.
- •The dose-dependent relationship was consistent for both low- and high-risk procedures.
- •A lone infection point for FTR was identified at 31-32 weeks with cubic spline analysis.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Evaluation of failure to rescue as a quality metric in pediatric heart surgery: an analysis of the STS congenital heart surgery database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2012; 94 (discussion 579-580): 573-579
- Variation in hospital mortality associated with inpatient surgery.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1368-1375
- Hospital and patient characteristics associated with death after surgery.Med Care. 1992; 30: 615-629
- Complications, failure to rescue, and mortality with major inpatient surgery in medicare patients.Ann Surg. 2009; 250: 1029-1034
- Variation in hospital complication rates and failure-to-rescue for trauma patients.Ann Surg. 2011; 253: 811-816
- Variation and impact of multiple complications on failure to rescue after inpatient surgery.Ann Surg. 2017; 266: 59-65
- Evaluation of the complication rate as a measure of quality of care in coronary artery bypass graft surgery.JAMA J Am Med Assoc. 1995; 274: 317-323
- Association of center volume with mortality and complications in pediatric heart surgery.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: e370-e376
- Variation in outcomes for benchmark operations: an analysis of the society of thoracic surgeons congenital heart surgery database.Ann Thorac Surg. 2011; 92: 2184-2192
- Failure to rescue as a quality improvement approach in transplantation: a first effort to evaluate this tool in pediatric liver transplantation.Transplantation. 2016; 100: 801-807
- Failure to rescue as a center-level metric in pediatric trauma.Surgery. 2019; 165: 1116-1121
- Risk and patterns of secondary complications in surgical inpatients.JAMA Surg. 2015; 150: 65-73
- Prognostic profiling of children with serious post-operative complications: a novel probability model for failure to rescue.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 207-212
- Complications and failure to rescue after inpatient pediatric surgery.Ann Surg. 2020; (In press)
- Infant mortality statistics from the 2013 period linked birth/infant death data set.Natl vital stat rep. 2015; 64: 1-30
- US birth weight/gestational age-specific neonatal mortality: 1995–1997 rates for whites, hispanics, and blacks.Pediatrics. 2003; 111 (Evanston): e61-e66
American College of Surgeons. About ACS NSQIP Pediatric. https://www.facs.org/quality-programs/childrens-surgery/pediatric/overview. Published 2020. Accessed November 20, 2020.
- Association of frailty with failure to rescue after low-risk and high-risk inpatient surgery.JAMA Surg. 2018; 153e180214
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing [computer program].R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria2020
- RootsExtremaInflections: finds roots, extrema and inflection points of a curve [computer program].2019
- ggplot2: elegant graphics for data analysis.Springer-Verlag, 2016
- R: a language and environment for statistical computing.R Foundation for Statistical Computing, 2020 (https://www.r-project.org/Accessed)
- SLUG bug: quality improvement with orchestrated testing leads to NICU CLABSI reduction.Pediatrics. 2016; 137
- Significant Reduction of central-line associated bloodstream infections in a network of diverse neonatal nurseries.J Pediatr. 2015; 167 (e41-43): 41-46
- Reducing unplanned extubations in the NICU following implementation of a standardized approach.Respir Care. 2017; 62: 1030-1035
- Quality improvement initiatives in neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) for improved care outcomes- a review of evidence.J Pediatr Neonatal Care. 2019; 9: 1-10
- Interpersonal and organizational dynamics are key drivers of failure to rescue.Health aff. 2018; 37 (Project Hope): 1870-1876
- Situation awareness: a new model for predicting and preventing patient deterioration.Hosp Pediatr. 2014; 4: 143-146
- Failure to rescue as a surgical quality indicator: current concepts and future directions for improving surgical outcomes.Anesthesiology. 2019; 131: 426-437
- Watcher initiative associated with decrease in failure to rescue events in pediatric population.Hosp Pediatr. 2017; 7: 710-715
- MySurgeryRisk: development and validation of a machine-learning risk algorithm for major complications and death after surgery.Ann Surg. 2019; 269: 652-662
- Artificial intelligence and surgical decision-making.JAMA Surg. 2020; 155: 148-158
- Improved predictive models for acute kidney injury with IDEA: intraoperative data embedded analytics.PLoS ONE. 2019; 14: e0214904
- A targeted real-time early warning score (TREWScore) for septic shock.Sci Transl Med. 2015; 7 (ra122-299ra122): 299
- Frailty and resilience from physics to medicine.Med Hypotheses. 2010; 74: 1090
Martin R. Pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and diagnosis of respiratory distress syndrome in the newborn. UpToDate. https://www.uptodate.com/contents/pathophysiology-clinical-manifestations-and-diagnosis-of-respiratory-distress-syndrome-in-the-newborn?sectionName=PATHOPHYSIOLOGY&topicRef=4997&anchor=H86661090&source=see_link-H86661090. Published 2020. Accessed March 29, 2021.
- Severity of neonatal retinopathy of prematurity is predictive of neurodevelopmental functional outcome at age 5.5 years. Behalf of the cryotherapy for retinopathy of prematurity cooperative group.Pediatrics. 2000; 106: 998-1005
- Risk factors for intraventricular hemorrhage in a birth cohort of 3721 premature infants.J Perinat Med. 2000; 28: 104-110
- Predictors of bronchopulmonary dysplasia.Clin Perinatol. 2012; 39: 585-601
- Necrotizing enterocolitis in the premature infant: neonatal nursing assessment, disease pathogenesis, and clinical presentation.Adv Neonatal Care. 2011; 11 (quiz 165-156): 155-164
- Early-onset neonatal sepsis.Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014; 27: 21-47
- Pediatric risk stratification is improved by integrating both patient comorbidities and intrinsic surgical risk.Anesthesiology. 2019; 130: 971-980
- Massive transfusion in children and neonates.Br J Haematol. 2013; 161: 15-26
- Pediatric american college of surgeons national surgical quality improvement program: feasibility of a novel, prospective assessment of surgical outcomes.J Pediatr Surg. 2011; 46: 115-121