- •Direct transumbilical access in neonatal laparoscopic surgery is cited as a risk for increased complications, including CO2 embolism.
- •Although concern for vessel injury, cannulation, and CO2 embolism exists, these complications are more likely related to the operative procedure, insufflation, and factors associated with laparoscopy, and likely not umbilical access technique.
- •Direct transumbilical access in neonatal laparoscopic surgery is cited as a risk for increased complications like CO2 embolism and vessel injury.
- •These may however be more related to the operative procedure, insufflation and laparoscopy, and less likely the umbilical access technique.
Abbreviations:CO2 (carbon dioxide), SSI (surgical site infection)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Open versus laparoscopic pyloromyotomy for pyloric stenosis: a prospective, randomized trial.Ann Surg. 2006; 244: 363-367https://doi.org/10.1097/01.sla.0000234647.03466.27
- Smaller scars-what is the big deal: a survey of the perceived value of laparoscopic pyloromyotomy.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 92-96https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2007.09.026
- Minimally invasive surgery in infants less than 5 kg: experience of 649 cases.Surg Endosc Intervent Tech. 2008; 22: 2214-2219https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-008-0025-7
- Single-site umbilical laparoscopic pyloromyotomy in neonates less than 21-day old.Surg Today. 2015; 45: 29-33https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-014-0854-z
- Complications of laparoscopic surgery in neonates and small infants.J Pediatr Surg. 2004; 39: 1838-1841https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2004.08.011
- Transumbilical cord access (TUCA) for laparoscopy in infants and children: simple, safe and fast.Surg Today. 2016; 46: 235-240https://doi.org/10.1007/s00595-015-1191-6
- Umbilical center insertion method for initial trocar placement in pediatric laparoscopic surgery.Osaka City Med J. 2010; 56: 21-26
- Pneumoperitoneum for neonatal laparoscopy: how safe is it?.Paediatr Anaesth. 2013; 23: 457-459https://doi.org/10.1111/pan.12146
- Multicentric assessment of the safety of neonatal videosurgery.Surg Endosc Intervent Tech. 2007; 21: 303-308https://doi.org/10.1007/s00464-006-0044-1
- The effects of early anesthesia on neurodevelopment: a systematic review.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 851-861https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2021.01.002
- Umbilical access in laparoscopic surgery in infants less than 3 months of age: a survey of the American Pediatric Surgical Association.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; : 5-9https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2020.01.055
- Laparoscopic entry techniques.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD006583.pub4
Podium presentation at the 22nd EUPSA Annual Congress, Athens, Greece, September 1–4, 2021.