- •What is currently known about this topic?
- •Pectus carinatum, the second most common congenital chest wall deformity, is associated with cosmetic complaints for which surgical repair can be indicated. The minimally invasive Abramson method is currently the preferred surgical treatment option for this deformity.
- •What new information is contained in this article?.
- •No systematic review on outcomes of minimally invasive repair of pectus carinatum (MIRPC) by the Abramson method is present in literature. This review provides an overview of the outcomes after MIRPC by the Abramson method to determine its effectiveness, with subjective postoperative esthetic outcomes as primary outcome measure.
Abbreviations:PC (Pectus Carinatum), MIRPC (Minimally invasive repair of pectus carinatum), PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses), SD (Standard deviation), NOS (Newcastle-Ottawa scale), VAS (Visual Analogue scale)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pectus deformities of the anterior chest wall.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2003; 4: 237-242
- Surgical repair of pectus excavatum and carinatum.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 21: 64-75
- Chest wall anomalies: pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum.Adolesc Med Clin. 2004; 15 (Jr.): 455-471
- Surgical correction of pectus carinatum: lessons learned from 260 patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2008; 43: 1235-1243
- Congenital chest wall deformities.Curr Probl Surg. 1996; 33: 469-542
- Surgical correction of pectus carinatum improves perceived body image, mental health and self-esteem.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 1472-1476
- Self- and social perception of physical appearance in chest wall deformity.Body Image. 2012; 9: 246-252
- Anatomical, histologic, and genetic characteristics of congenital chest wall deformities.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2009; 21: 44-57
- Pigeon chest: comparative analysis of surgical techniques in minimal access repair of pectus carinatum (MARPC).World J Pediatr. 2018; 14: 18-25
- Nonoperative management of pectus carinatum.J Pediatr Surg. 2006; 41 (discussion -5): 40-45
- Unusual sternal deformity with cardiac symptoms operative correction.J Thorac Surg. 1952; 23: 138-144
- A minimally invasive technique to repair pectus carinatum. Preliminary report.Arch Bronconeumol. 2005; 41: 349-351
- Minimally Invasive Repair of Pectus Carinatum in Patients Unsuited to Bracing Therapy.Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2016; 49: 92-98
- A 10-year review of a minimally invasive technique for the correction of pectus excavatum.J Pediatr Surg. 1998; 33 (Jr.): 545-552
- Pectus carinatum.Thorac Surg Clin. 2010; 20: 563-574
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate healthcare interventions: explanation and elaboration.BMJ. 2009; 339: b2700
- Estimating the sample mean and standard deviation from the sample size, median, range and/or interquartile range.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014; 14: 135
- New Berlin-Buch "reversed Nuss," endoscopic pectus carinatum repair using eight-hole stabilizers, submuscular CO2, and presternal Nuss bar compression: first results in 35 patients.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2011; 21: 283-286
- Minimally Invasive Repair of Pectus Carinatum.Ann Thorac Surg. 2018; 105: 915-923
- Is the Abramson technique effective in pectus carinatum repair?.Asian J Surg. 2018; 41: 73-76
- Minimally invasive repair of pectus carinatum: a retrospective analysis based on a single surgeon's 10 years of experience.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2018; 66: 653-657
- 5-year experience with a minimally invasive technique for pectus carinatum repair.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44 (discussion 23-4): 118-123
- Dynamic compression system for the correction of pectus carinatum.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2008; 17: 194-200
- Current Options for the Treatment of Pectus Carinatum: when to Brace and When to Operate?.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 28: 347-354
- Brace compression for treatment of pectus carinatum.Korean J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2012; 45: 396-400
- Current readings: surgical repair experience of congenital chest wall deformities.Semin Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2013; 25: 317-322
- Effectiveness of Compressive External Bracing in Patients with Flexible Pectus Carinatum Deformity: a Review.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 68: 72-79
- Minimal access treatment of pectus carinatum: a preliminary report.Pediatr Surg Int. 2009; 25: 337-342
- Minimally invasive repair of pectus carinatum using a newly designed bar and stabilizer: a single-institution experience.Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2011; 40: 339-342
Abramson H. Chest Wall - Operative Techniques: chest wall deformities. In Kużdżał J (ed) ESTS textbook of thoracic surgery. Medycyna Praktyczna 2014; 97.
Abramson H. Thoracic Wall: pectus Carinatum. In Petersen C, Ure BM (eds): Thoracic surgery in children and adolescents. De Gruyter 2017; 198.
- Minimally invasive repair of pectus carinatum and how to deal with complications.J Vis Surg. 2016; 2
Kelly Jr R.E., Martinez-Ferro M., Abramson H. Chest wall deformities. In Davenport M, Geigner JD (eds): Rob & smith's operative pediatric surgery. 8th ed.. CRC Press 2020.
- Pectus Carinatum Repair by Minimally Invasive Procedure. New Trends About Pectus Carinatum Repair.J Clin Anal Med. 2010; 1: 61-64