What is known.
- •Circumcision may affect feeding and sleeping habits in newborns and infants.
What is new.
- •This prospective study is the first to simultaneously evaluate the effects of circumcision on feeding, sleeping habits, and maternal attachment in newborns and infants.
- •The negative effects of circumcision on feeding, sleeping habits, and maternal attachment in newborns and infants could not be determined.
Abbreviations:MA (Maternal attachment), MAI (Maternal Attachment Inventory)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Erratum to: estimation of country-specific and global prevalence of male circumcision.Popul Health Metr. 2016; 14 (Erratum in: Popul Health Metr. 2016;14:11)https://doi.org/10.1186/s12963-016-0080-6
- A contemporary snapshot of circumcision in US children's hospitals.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 1134-1138https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2020.02.031
- American Academy of Pediatrics task force on circumcision. Male circumcision.Pediatrics. 2012; 130: e756-e785https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2012-1990
- Comparison of ring block, dorsal penile nerve block, and topical anesthesia for neonatal circumcision: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 1997; 278: 2157-2162https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.1997.03550240047032
- Male circumcision: pain, trauma and psychosexual sequelae.J Health Psychol. 2002; 7: 329-343https://doi.org/10.1177/135910530200700310
- Report of the task force on circumcision.Pediatrics. 1989; 84 (388–91. Erratum in: Pediatrics. 1989;84:761)
- Circumcision I: effects upon newborn behavior.Infant Behav Dev. 1980; 3: 1-14https://doi.org/10.1016/S0163-6383(80)80003-8
- The effects of circumcision on sleep-wake states in human neonates.Psychosom Med. 1974; 36: 174-179https://doi.org/10.1097/00006842-197403000-00009
- A questionnaire to measure mother-to-infant attachment.J Nurs Meas. 1994; 2: 129-141https://doi.org/10.1891/1061-37220.127.116.11
- Prenatal and postnatal attachment: a modest correlation.J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 1996; 25: 161-166https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1552-6909.1996.tb02420.x
- The Turkish version of Maternal attachment Inventory.J Hum Sci. 2009; 6: 188-202
- Erratum to: combination analgesia for neonatal circumcision: a randomized controlled trial.Pediatrics. 2017; 140 (https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-1935. Pediatrics. 2018; 141:e20180500. https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2018-0500)e20171935
- Can the human neonate mount an endocrine and metabolic response to surgery?.J Pediatr Surg. 1985; 20: 41-48https://doi.org/10.1016/s0022-3468(85)80390-0
Circumcision Information and Resource Pages.circumcision vs. child Health, Breastfeeding and Maternal Bonding; 2005. Available from: http://www.cirp.org/library/birth. Accessed 28 Jul 2006.
- Circumcision: II. Effects upon mother-infant interaction.Early Hum Dev. 1982; 7: 367-374https://doi.org/10.1016/0378-3782(82)90038-x
- Behavioral effects of circumcision with and without anesthesia.J Dev Behav Pediatr. 1984; 5: 246-250https://doi.org/10.1097/00004703-198410000-00004
- Neonatal circumcision: effects on breastfeeding and outcomes associated with breastfeeding.J Paediatr Child Health. 2008; 44: 44-49https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1754.2007.01202.x
- Neonatal circumcision: is feeding behavior altered?.Hosp Pediatr. 2013; 3: 362-365https://doi.org/10.1542/hpeds.2012-0082
- Breastfeeding must be given priority over circumcision.J Hum Lact. 2003; 19: 21
- Circumcision and breastfeeding.J Hum Lact. 2000; 16: 295
- Circumcision: the rest of the story.Mothering Magazine, Santa Fe, NM1993
- Kaplan and Sadock's synopsis of psychiatry: behavioral science and clinical psychiatry.7th ed. Williams & Wilkins, Baltimore1994: 161-165
- Patterns of attachment: a psychological study of the strange situation.Psychology Press, London2015