- •21% of surgeon members surveyed from the American Pediatric Surgical Association reported performing 1 or more pediatric thyroid surgeries in the past year.
- •The majority of surgeons who perform pediatric thyroid surgery report doing so with a colleague.
List of abbreviations:APSA (American Pediatric Surgical Association), PTH (parathyroid hormone), RLN (recurrent laryngeal nerve)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Subspecialization within pediatric surgical groups in North America.J Pediatri Surg. 2016; 51: 143-148
- Association of surgeon volume with outcomes and cost savings following thyroidectomy: a national forecast.JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016; 142: 32-39
- Influence of surgeon experience, hospital volume, and specialty designation on outcomes in pediatric surgery: a systematic review.JAMA Pediatr. 2013; 167: 468-475
- The relationships of surgeon volume and specialty with outcomes folloiwng pediatric thyroidectomy.J Pediatri Surg. 2019; 54: 1226-1232
- The surgeon volume-outcome relationship: not yet ready for policy.Ann. Surg. 2018; 267: 863-867
- Increased pediatric sub-specialization is associated with decreased surgical complication rates for inpatient pediatric urology procedures.J Pediatr Urol. 2016; 12: 388e1-388e7
Rich B., Silverberg J., Fishbein J., et al. Subspecialization in pediatric surgery: results of a survey to the american pediatric surgical association. J Pediatric Surg. AAP Sect Surg Deliv Surg Care Committee;55:2058–63.</bib
- Pediatric endocrine surgery: who is operating on our children?.Surgery. 2008; 144: 869-877
- Management guidelines for children with thyroid nodules and differentiated thyroid cancer.Thyroid. 2015; 25: 716-759
PDQ® Pediatric Treatment Editorial Board. PDQ Childhood Thyroid Cancer Treatment. . Bethesda, MD: national cancer institute. Updated 09/17/2021:Available at: https://www.cancer.gov/types/thyroid/hp/child-thyroid-treatment-pdq. Accessed 11/3/2021.
- Effect of patient age on surgical outcomes for Graves’ disease: a case-control study of 100 consecutive patients at a high volume thyroid surgical center.Int J Pediatr Endocrinol. 2013; : 1-8
- Predictors of outcomes folloiwng pediatric thyroid and parathyroid surgery.Curr Opin Oncol. 2009; 21: 23-28
- KID database documentation: frequencies by diagnosis and procedure codes.KID. 2016; (2021 [accessed May 31 2021.2021])
- Comparison of a dual-surgeon versus single- surgeon approach for scoliosis surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur Spine J. 2021;
- Dual surgeon operating lists for complex revision arthroplasty surgery: changing orthopaedic surgical practice.Br J Hosp Med. 2020; : 81
- Dual surgeon operating to improve patient safety.Brit J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2021; : 1-20
- Does "Two is better than one" apply to surgeons? Comparing single-surgeon versus Co-surgeon bilateral mastectomies.Ann Surg Oncol. 2016; 23: 1111-1116
- The impact of two operating surgeons on microsurgical breast reconstruction.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017; 139: 277-284
- Complications and sequelae of thyroidectomy and an analysis of surgeon experience and outcome.Surg Technol Int. 2004; 12: 152-157
- Pediatric thyroid surgery: experience in 75 consecutive thyroidectomies.Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngology. 2019; 276: 217-222
- Pediatric thyroidectomy: a collaborative surgical approach.J Pediatri Surg. 2011; 46: 823-828
- A dual-team approach benefits standard-volume surgeons, but has minimal impact on outcomes for a high-volume surgeon in AIS patients.Spine Deform. 2020; 8: 447-453
- The importance of surgeon experience for clinical and economic outcomes from thyroidectomy.Ann Surg Oncol. 1998; 228: 320-330
- Hypocalcemia prevention and management after thyroidectomy in children: a systematic review.J Pediatri Surg. 2021; 56: 526-533
✰Level of Evidence: Treatment Study, Level IV