- •The Gastroschisis Prognostic Score (GPS) is a simple and accurate risk stratification and prognostic tool for gastroschisis. The GPS had never been tested previously in low- and middle-income countries.
- •In a Brazilian center, the GPS reliably predicted several important clinical outcomes, including duration of parenteral nutrition, mechanical ventilation, and length of stay.
Level of evidence
Abbreviations:CAPSNet (Canadian Pediatric Surgery Network), HC-UFMG (Hospital das Clínicas of Federal University of Minas Gerais), GPS (Gastroschisis Prognostic Score), LMICs (low- and middle-income countries (LMICs)), LOS (Length of Stay), MV (Mechanical Ventilation), TPN (Parenteral Nutrition)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Congenital abdominal wall defects. Gastroschisis and omphalocele.in: Holcomb III, GW Murphy JP St Peter SD Gatti JM Holcomb and Ashcraft's pediatric surgery. Elsevier, 2020: 763-779
- The correlation between the time spent in utero and the severity of bowel matting in newborns with gastroschisis.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 755-759
- Prenatal extra-abdominal bowel dilatation is a risk factor for intrapartum fetal compromise for fetuses with gastroschisis.Prenat Diagn. 2015; 35: 529-533
- A 25-year study of gastroschisis outcomes in a middle-income country.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 1481-1486
- Prenatal risk factors and outcomes in gastroschisis: a meta-analysis.Pediatrics. 2015; 136: e159-e169
- Complex gastroschisis is a different entity to simple gastroschisis affecting morbidity and mortality—a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49: 1527-1532
- Outcome differences between simple and complex gastroschisis.Ann Ital Chir. 2016;
- The gastroschisis prognostic score: reliable outcome prediction in gastroschisis.J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 47: 1111-1117
- Management and outcome challenges in newborns with gastroschisis: a 6-year retrospective French study.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; 30: 2864-2870
- Risk stratification and outcome determinants in gastroschisis.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2018; 27: 300-303
- Prognostic tools in patients with advanced cancer: a systematic review.J Pain Symptom Manage. 2017; 53 (e10): 962-970
- Outcome prediction in gastroschisis - The gastroschisis prognostic score (GPS) revisited.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 718-721
- Minimizing risks associated with peripherally inserted central catheters in the NICU.MCN Am J Matern Child Nurs. 2001; 26 (quiz 22): 17-21
- Nutritional management and postoperative prognosis of newborns submitted to primary surgical repair of gastroschisis.J Pediatr. 2016; 92: 268-275