- •Opioids are frequently used in pediatric postoperative pain management.
- •In children, patterns of use and analgesic efficacy of opioids are not well established.
- •There is large variability in opioid prescribing practices after inguinal hernia repair in children.
- •Neuraxial techniques reliably reduce opioid requirements.
Abbreviations:ANZCA (Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists), ASA (American Society of Anesthesiology), CI (confidence interval), ED (Emergency Department), ESPA (European Society for Paediatric Anaesthesiology), h (hour(s)), IV (intravenous), kg (kilogram), mg (milligram), μg (microgram), oMEDD (oral morphine equivalent daily dose), OR (odds ratio), PACU (post anaesthesia care unit), PO (per os (orally)), PRISMA (Preferred Reporting Items for Systematic Reviews and Meta Analysis), RCH (Royal Children's Hospital), RCT (randomised controlled trial), USA (United States of America), WHO (World Health Organisation), y (years)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
World Health Organization. WHO's cancer pain ladder for adults. World Health Organization; 2013. http://www.who.int/cancer/palliative/painladder/en/ [accessed August 2020].
- Postoperative pain management in children: guidance from the pain committee of the European society for paediatric anaesthesiology (ESPA pain management ladder initiative).Paediatr Anaesth. 2018; 28: 493-506
- The society for pediatric anesthesia recommendations for the use of opioids in children during the perioperative period.Paediatr Anaesth. 2019; 29: 547-571
- Trends in opioid prescriptions among children and adolescents in the United States: a nationally representative study from 1996 to 2012.Pain. 2016; 157: 1021-1027
- Outpatient opioid prescriptions for children and opioid-related adverse events.Pediatrics. 2018; 142e20172156
- Individual short-acting opioids and the risk of opioid-related adverse events in adolescents.Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf. 2019; 28: 1448-1456
- An analysis of 34,218 pediatric outpatient controlled substance prescriptions.Anesth Analg. 2016; 122: 807-813
- Persistent opioid use among pediatric patients after surgery.Pediatrics. 2018; 141: e20172439
- Effect of pre-emptive paracetamol infusion on postoperative analgesic consumption in children undergoing elective herniorrhaphy.Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2018; 46: 197-200
- Too much of a bad thing: discharge opioid prescriptions in pediatric appendectomy patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 2374-2377
- Opioid prescription patterns for children following laparoscopic appendectomy.Ann Surg. 2018; 272: 1149-1157
- Key substance use and mental health indicators in the United States: results from the 2018 national survey on drug use and health.SAMHSA, 2019 (https://store.samhsa.gov/product/Key-Substance-Use-and-Mental-Health-Indicators-in-the-United-States-Results-from-the-2018-National-Survey-on-Drug-Use-and-Health/PEP19-5068)
- Trends in medical and nonmedical use of prescription opioids among us adolescents: 1976–2015.Pediatrics. 2017; 139: e20162387
- The PRISMA statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2009; 6e1000100
- RoB 2: a revised tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.BMJ. 2019; 366: l4898
- Guidelines for guidelines: assessing risk of bias.NHMRC, 2019 (https://nhmrc.gov.au/guidelinesforguidelines/develop/assessing-risk-bias [accessed August.2020])
- Opioid dose equivalence.ANZCA, 2019 (https://fpm.anzca.edu.au/documents/opioid-dose-equivalence.pdf [accessed August.2020])
- A single-blinded, randomized comparison of laparoscopic versus open bilateral hernia repair in boys.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2014; 24: 117-121
- A comparison between caudal block versus splash block for postoperative analgesia following inguinal herniorrhaphy in children.Korean J Anesthesiol. 2011; 60: 255-259
- Inconsistency in opioid prescribing practices after pediatric ambulatory hernia surgery.J Surg Res. 2019; 241: 57-62
- Tramadol wound infiltration is not different from intravenous tramadol in children: a randomized controlled trial.J Clin Anesth. 2016; 28: 62-66
- Fentanyl sparing effects of combined ketorolac and acetaminophen for outpatient inguinal hernia repair in children.J Urol. 2010; 183: 1551-1555
- Effects of suppository acetaminophen, bupivacaine wound infiltration, and caudal block with bupivacaine on postoperative pain in pediatric inguinal herniorrhaphy.Anesth Pain Med. 2012; 1: 243-247
- Effect of different doses of ketamine with low-dose rocuronium on intubation conditions in children: prospective randomized double blind trial.Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2019; 23: 1807-1815
- Treatment of postoperative pain in pediatric operations: comparing the efficiency of bupivacaine, bupivacaine-dexmedetomidine and bupivacaine-fentanyl for caudal block.Anesth Pain Med. 2016; 6: 1-8
- Ultrasound-assisted transversus abdominis plane block vs wound infiltration in pediatric patient with inguinal hernia: randomized controlled trial.J Clin Anesth. 2016; 30: 9-14
- Magnesium as an adjuvant for caudal analgesia in children.Paediatr Anaesth. 2014; 24: 1231-1238
- A single-blinded, randomized comparison of laparoscopic versus open hernia repair in children.Pediatrics. 2009; 123: 332-337
- Single level paravertebral versus caudal block in paediatric inguinal surgery.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2011; 39: 909-913
- A comparison between EMLA cream application versus lidocaine infiltration for postoperative analgesia after inguinal herniotomy in children.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009; 34: 106-109
- Caudal and intravenous dexmedetomidine similarly prolong the duration of caudal analgesia in children: a randomized controlled trial.Paediatr Anaesth. 2018; 28: 888-896
- A guide to pain assessment and management in the neonate.Curr Emerg Hosp Med Rep. 2016; 4: 1-10
- Opioid-prescribing patterns for pediatric patients in the United States.Clin J Pain. 2019; 35: 515-520
- Current concepts in inguinal hernia in infants and children.World J Surg. 1989; 13: 506-515
- Regional (spinal, epidural, caudal) versus general anaesthesia in preterm infants undergoing inguinal herniorrhaphy in early infancy.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2015; 2015Cd003669
- Association between long-term opioid use in family members and persistent opioid use after surgery among adolescents and young adults.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154
- Opioid prescribing for the treatment of acute pain in children on hospital discharge.Anesth Analg. 2017; 125: 2113-2122
- Leftover prescription opioids and nonmedical use among high school seniors: a multi-cohort national study.J Adolesc Health. 2013; 52: 480-485
- Laparoscopic versus open herniorrhaphy for children with inguinal hernia: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Medicine. 2020; 99 (Baltimore): e21557
Template data collection forms, data extracted (from included studies), data used for all analyzes can be requested from corresponding author