- •What is currently known about the topic?Stoma recycling in neonates is safe and has a range of potential benefits.Stoma recycling is not yet universal policy.
- •What new information is contained in the article?Further confirmation of recycling safety.Review of nursing experience and barriers to effective recycling.Suggested areas of improvement and an outline of a uniform policy.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Managing newborn ileostomies.Ir Med J. 2014; 107: 146-148
- A case study utilizing an enteral refeeding technique in a premature infant with short bowel syndrome.Adv Neonatal Care. 2003; 3: 258-268https://doi.org/10.1016/j.adnc.2003.09.002
- Enteral refeeding is useful for promoting growth in neonates with enterostomy before stoma closure.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 390-394https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.08.058
- Beneficial effects of mucous fistula refeeding in necrotizing enterocolitis neonates enterostomies.J Pediatric Surg. 2016; 51: 1914-1916https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.09.010
- Safety and efficacy of mucous fistula refeeding in low-birth-weight infants with enterostomies.Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 1101-1107https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-019-04533-x
- Mucous fistula refeeding in neonates with enterostomies.J Pediatr Surg. 2015; 50: 779-782https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2015.02.041
- The feasibility of routine use of distal stoma refeeding method in newborns with enterostomy.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2020; 33: 2897-2901https://doi.org/10.1080/14767058.2018.1563593
- Safety of mucous fistula refeeding in neonates with functional short bowel syndrome: a retrospective review.J Pediatr Surg. 2019; 54: 989-992https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.01.050
- The timing of stoma closure in neonates with necrotising enterocolitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 27: 7-11https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0036-1587333
- Mucous fistula refeeding decreases parenteral nutrition exposure in postsurgical premature neonates.J Pediatr Surg. 2016; 51: 1759-1765https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2016.06.018