- •What is currently known about this topic?
- •Racial disparities in outcomes of pediatric surgery have been previously documented; however, differences in receipt of pediatric surgical care in the United States have not been analyzed.
- •What new information is contained in this article?
- •Among children less than 19 years old, analysis from a large, national survey of health reveals an association between minority race/ethnicity and decreased odds of receiving surgery despite adjustment for relevant covariates.
Level of evidence
Type of study
Abbreviations:NHIS (the National Health Interview Survey), NSQIP (National Surgical Quality Improvement Program)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Disparities in surgical access: a systematic literature review, conceptual model, and evidence map.J Am Coll Surg. 2019; 228: 276-298
- Surgical disparities: a comprehensive review and new conceptual framework.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223: 408-418
- Racial disparities in surgical care and outcomes in the United States: a comprehensive review of patient, provider, and systemic factors.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 216 (e12): 482-492
- Racial and socioeconomic disparities in outcomes following pediatric cerebrospinal fluid shunt procedures.J Neurosurg Pediatr. 2015; 15: 560-566
- A review of racial/ethnic disparities in pediatric trauma care, treatment, and outcomes.J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2019; 86: 540-550
- Racial and gender disparities and the role of primary tumor type on inpatient outcomes following craniotomy for brain metastases.Ann Surg Oncol. 2012; 19: 2657-2663
- Predicting economic and medical outcomes based on risk adjustment for congenital heart surgery classification of pediatric cardiovascular surgical admissions.Am J Cardiol. 2014; 114: 1740-1744
- Racial and ethnic disparities in treatment and survival of pediatric sarcoma.J Surg Res. 2017; 219: 43-49
- Delays in treatment of pediatric appendicitis: a more accurate variable for measuring pediatric healthcare inequalities?.Am Surg. 2013; 79: 875-881
- Health outcomes in US children with abdominal pain at major emergency departments associated with race and socioeconomic status.PLoS ONE. 2015; 10e0132758
- Hospital- and patient-level characteristics and the risk of appendiceal rupture and negative appendectomy in children.JAMA. 2004; 292: 1977-1982
- The effect of race and gender on pediatric surgical outcomes within the United States.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 48: 1650-1656
- Race, preoperative risk factors, and death after surgery.Pediatrics. 2018; 141e20172221
- Development and evaluation of the American college of surgeons NSQIP pediatric surgical risk calculator.J Am Coll Surg. 2016; 223: 685-693
- Race, postoperative complications, and death in apparently healthy children.Pediatrics. 2020; 146e20194113
Statistics NCfH. National health interview survey, 1999-2018, https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhis/data-questionnaires-documentation.htm; [accessed April 17. 2020].
- Trends in surgery for children younger than 3 years from 1998 to 2017.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 1199-1201
- IPUMS health surveys: national health interview survey.IPUMS, Minneapolis, MN2019https://doi.org/10.18128/D070.V6.4 (Version 6.4 [Dataset])
- Association between ambulatory care utilization and coronary artery disease outcomes by race/ethnicity.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e013372
- Disparities in infant mortality by race among hispanic and non-hispanic infants.Matern Child Health J. 2017; 21: 1581-1588
- The association between insurance status and prostate cancer outcomes: implications for the affordable care act.Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014; 17: 273-279
- Epidemiology of pediatric surgery in the United States.Paediatr Anaesth. 2020; 30: 1083-1090
- Committee on pediatric R. Technical report–racial and ethnic disparities in the health and health care of children.Pediatrics. 2010; 125: e979-e1020
- Frequency and variety of inpatient pediatric surgical procedures in the United States.Pediatrics. 2013; 132: e1466-e1472
- Epidemiology of pediatric surgical admissions in US children: data from the HCUP kids inpatient database.J Neurosurg Anesthesiol. 2012; 24: 391-395
- Overview of hospital stays for children in the United States.Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project, 2012
- Circumcision rates in the United States: rising or falling? What effect might the new affirmative pediatric policy statement have?.Mayo Clin Proc. 2014; 89: 677-686
- Genetic similarities within and between human populations.Genetics. 2007; 176: 351-359
- Why genes do not count (for racial differences in health).Am J Public Health. 2000; 90: 1699-1702
- Racial bias in pain assessment and treatment recommendations, and false beliefs about biological differences between blacks and whites.Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2016; 113: 4296-4301
- Racial and ethnic disparities in pediatric mental health.Child Adolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am. 2010; 19: 759-774
- Racial disparities in access to pediatric kidney transplantation since share 35.J Am Soc Nephrol. 2012; 23: 1069-1077
- Keeping children with asthma out of hospitals: parents' and physicians' perspectives on how pediatric asthma hospitalizations can be prevented.Pediatrics. 2005; 116: 957-965
- Racial and ethnic disparities in early childhood health and health care.Pediatrics. 2005; 115: e183-e193
Crowley R. Racial and ethnic disparities in healthcare, updated 2010. A Position Paper of the American College of Physicians. In: Neubauer R, ed.; Mary 13, 2010.
- Cultural factors associated with racial disparities in lung cancer care.Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014; 11: 489-495
- Racial and ethnic differences in emergency department pain management of children with fractures.Pediatrics. 2020; 145e20193370
- The influence of implicit bias on treatment recommendations for 4 common pediatric conditions: pain, urinary tract infection, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, and asthma.Am J Public Health. 2012; 102: 988-995
- Disparities in unmet need for care coordination: the national survey of children's health.Pediatrics. 2013; 131: 217-224
- Differences in tonsillectomy use by race/ethnicity and type of health insurance before and after the 2011 tonsillectomy clinical practice guidelines.J Pediatr. 2020; 220 (e3): 116-124
- Racial and ethnic differences in receipt of pressure equalization tubes among US children, 2014.Acad Pediatr. 2017; 17: 88-94