- •What is currently known about this topic? Dr. James Densler was the first practicing black pediatric surgeon in the US.
- •What new information is contained in this article? The motivation and driving factors behind Densler's success and his lasting impact on Morehouse School of Medicine.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Densler J.F., MD, FAAP, FACS. PDF. Accessed January 23, 2022. https://www.msm.edu/Administration/MarketingandCommunications/MSMNews/MSMNewsDocuments/October2015/BioJDensler.pdf.
Densler J.F., First African-American pediatric surgeon to practice in U.S., retires from Morehouse School of Medicine. Accessed January 23, 2022. https://www.msm.edu/RSSFeedArticles/May2016/DrJamesDenslerRetirement.php?fbclid=IwAR0f_i5xbgxXlkM3Ci04mHKk7q6cnUxJHg0CSj0ZCPxbhvVhin4A2EJV1xM.
Dr. Densler named alumnus of month. Savannah State College Bulletin: alumni News Issue. Savannah, Georgia 1970. p. 9.
Densler J.F., J.F. Densler Interview (pt. 1 of 2). In: Williams J, editor. 2021.
Densler J.F. Dr. James F Densler Interview (pt. 2 of 2). In: Anyalebechi J, editor. 2022.
Warner W.C.C., M.D. Interview. In: Merritt C, editor. Atlanta, GA: Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center; 2005.
Wyckoff A. First black member of section on Surgery a pioneer. American Academy of Pediatrics. Accessed January 11, 2022. https://publications.aap.org/aapnews/news/9720/First-black-member-of-Section-on-Surgery-a-pioneer.
Black doctor saves infant afflicted by rare ailment. Jet: Johnson; 1974. p. 45.
- Vignettes from the history of pediatric surgery.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55S (Jan): 1-37https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.09.012
Survey Results. American Pediatric Surgical Association. Accessed January 23, 2022. https://apsapdsrg.memberclicks.net/survey-results.
- Patient-centered communication, ratings of care, and concordance of patient and physician race.Ann Intern Med. 2003; 139 (Dec 2): 907-915https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-139-11-200312020-00009
- Does racial concordance between HIV-positive patients and their physicians affect the time to receipt of protease inhibitors?.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19 (Nov): 1146-1153https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1525-1497.2004.30443.x
- The association of doctor-patient race concordance with health services utilization.J Public Health Policy. 2003; 24: 312-323
- Influence of patient and physician characteristics on percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy tube decision-making.J Palliat Med. 2007; 10 (Apr): 359-366https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2006.0145
- Race, postoperative complications, and death in apparently healthy children.Pediatrics. 2020; 146 (Aug)https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2019-4113
Gibbs B. UNC chief of pediatric surgery was first Black female pediatric surgeon in the United States. Accessed March 20, 2022. https://abc11.com/andrea-hayes-pediatric-surgery-unc-chief-of-dr/10403465/.
Kernahan P.C., Edward. Black surgeons and surgery in America. 2021:320.
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion: a strategic priority for the American Pediatric Surgical Association.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56 (Apr): 641-647https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2020.11.011
AWARDS. American Pediatric Surgical Association. Accessed January 11, 2022. apsapedsurg.org/aspa-info/about-us/awards/
About Us. The James Densler Surgical Society. Accessed November 29, 2021. https://msm-jdss.weebly.com/about.html.