- •Primary spontaneous pneumothorax (PSP) is rare with an incidence of 3.4 per 100,000 children.
- •There is no consensus on pediatric PSP management guidelines.
- •Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) after chest tube decompression (CTD) was associated with a longer LOS and chest tube days.
- •Air leak and increase in pneumothorax size at 24 h after CTD were related to progression to VATS.
- •Air leak and increase in pneumothorax size were combined associated with a 6-fold increased risk of recurrence in a two-year period.
Level of Evidence
Abbreviations:PSP (primary spontaneous pneumothorax), PTX (pneumothorax), CTD (chest tube decompression), VATS (video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery), ACC (American College of Chest Physicians), BTS (British Thoracic Society), CXR (chest X-ray), CT (computed tomography), LOS (postoperative length of stay), ICD (international classification of diseases), IQR (interquartile range), IRR (incidence rate ratio)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric spontaneous pneumothorax.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2012; 28: 715-723https://doi.org/10.1097/PEC.0B013E31825D2DD5
- Evidence-based management of paediatric primary spontaneous pneumothorax.Paediatr Respir Rev. 2009; 10: 110-117https://doi.org/10.1016/J.PRRV.2008.12.003
- Management of the pediatric spontaneous pneumothorax: is primary surgery the treatment of choice?.Am J Surg. 2014; 208: 571-576https://doi.org/10.1016/J.AMJSURG.2014.06.009
- New insights and improved strategies for the management of primary spontaneous pneumothorax.Clin Respir J. 2019; 13: 195-201https://doi.org/10.1111/CRJ.12990
- Management of spontaneous pneumothorax: an American College of Chest Physicians Delphi consensus statement.Chest. 2001; 119: 590-602https://doi.org/10.1378/CHEST.119.2.590
- Management of spontaneous pneumothorax: British Thoracic Society pleural disease guideline 2010.Thorax. 2010; 65https://doi.org/10.1136/THX.2010.136986
- Current practice in the management of spontaneous pneumothorax in children.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2019; 29: 551-556https://doi.org/10.1089/LAP.2018.0629
- Spontaneous pneumothorax in children: when is invasive treatment indicated?.Pediatr Pulmonol. 2008; 43: 41-46https://doi.org/10.1002/PPUL.20734
- A cost-effective thoracoscopic treatment strategy for pediatric spontaneous pneumothorax.Surg Endosc. 1999; 13: 1208-1210https://doi.org/10.1007/PL00009622
- Spontaneous pneumothorax in children: national management strategies and outcomes.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2018; 28: 218-222https://doi.org/10.1089/LAP.2017.0467
- Optimal timing of video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery for primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 1858-1861https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPEDSURG.2017.11.047
- What factors predict recurrence after an initial episode of primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children?.Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2014; 20: 961-967https://doi.org/10.5761/ATCS.OA.13-00142
- Initial primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children and adolescents: operate or wait?.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 1960-1963https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPEDSURG.2017.12.014
- An open and shut case for early VATS treatment of primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children.Can J Surg. 2007; 50: 171-174
- In patients with first-episode primary spontaneous pneumothorax is video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery superior to tube thoracostomy alone in terms of time to resolution of pneumothorax and incidence of recurrence?.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2009; 9: 1003-1008https://doi.org/10.1510/ICVTS.2009.216473
- Early surgery for spontaneous pneumothorax associated with reduced recurrence, resource utilization.J Surg Res. 2021; 269: 44-50https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2021.07.007
- Radiation dose in paediatric computed tomography: risks and benefits.Ann Ibadan Postgrad Med. 2010; 8: 118
- Vienna, Austria2017 (https://www.R-project.org/ n.d.) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing,
- Recurrence of primary spontaneous pneumothorax in young adults and children.Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg. 2015; 21: 195-199https://doi.org/10.1093/ICVTS/IVV104
- Lelli Chiesa P. Management of spontaneous pneumothorax in children: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 30: 2-12https://doi.org/10.1055/S-0039-3402522
- Systematic review and meta-analysis on juvenile primary spontaneous pneumothorax: conservative or surgical approach first?.PLoS ONE. 2021; 16https://doi.org/10.1371/JOURNAL.PONE.0250929
- Surgical intervention for primary spontaneous pneumothorax in pediatric population: when and why?.J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2017; 27: 841-844https://doi.org/10.1089/LAP.2016.0163
- Changing the paradigm for management of pediatric primary spontaneous pneumothorax: a simple aspiration test predicts need for operation.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 169-175https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPEDSURG.2019.09.043
- Factors associated with proceeding to surgical intervention and recurrence of primary spontaneous pneumothorax in adolescent patients.Eur J Pediatr. 2014; 173: 1483-1490https://doi.org/10.1007/S00431-014-2352-0
- Management of large primary spontaneous pneumothorax in children: radiological guidance, surgical intervention and proposed guideline.Pediatr Surg Int. 2015; 31: 1139-1144https://doi.org/10.1007/S00383-015-3787-8
- Pediatric spontaneous pneumothorax: does initial treatment affect outcomes?.J Surg Res. 2021; 259: 532-537https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JSS.2020.10.008
- Comparison of size classification of primary spontaneous pneumothorax by three international guidelines: a case for international consensus?.Respir Med. 2008; 102: 1830-1832https://doi.org/10.1016/J.RMED.2008.07.026
- Primary vs delayed surgery for spontaneous pneumothorax in children: which is better?.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 166-169https://doi.org/10.1016/J.JPEDSURG.2004.09.042
- Conservative versus Interventional Treatment for Spontaneous Pneumothorax.N Engl J Med. 2020; 382: 405-415https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMOA1910775