- •What is currently known about this topic.
- •ERAS protocols are associated with decreased LOS, increased patient satisfaction, and low complication rates in adults.
- •What new information is contained in this article?
- •An ERAS protocol for pediatric Wilms tumor nephrectomy post operative management can reduce length of stay without an increase in complications.
Level of evidence
Abbreviations:ERAS (enhanced recovery after surgery), LOS (length of stay), COG (children's oncology group), POD (post operative day), EBL (estimated blood loss)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- SEER data submission, posted to the SEER web site.(eds)SEER cancer statistics review, 1975-2012. National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD2014 (based on NovemberApril 2015.)
- The national cancer data base report on patterns of childhood cancers in the United States.Cancer. 1997; 80: 2321-2332
- Outcome and prognostic factors in stage III Favorable-histology Wilms tumor: a report from the children's oncology group study AREN0532.J Clin Oncol. 2018; 36: 254-261
- Clinical outcome and biological predictors of relapse after nephrectomy only for very low risk Wilms tumor: a report from children's oncology group AREN0532.Ann Surg. 2017; 265: 835-840
- Guidelines for perioperative care after radical cystectomy for bladder cancer: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS((R))) society recommendations.Clin Nutr. 2013; 32: 879-887
- Guidelines for perioperative care in elective colonic surgery: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS((R))) society recommendations.World J Surg. 2013; 37: 259-284
- Consensus guidelines for enhanced recovery after gastrectomy: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS(R)) society recommendations.Br J Surg. 2014; 101: 1209-1229
- Hospital charges and length of stay following radical cystectomy in the enhanced recovery after surgery era.Urology. 2018; 111: 86-91
- Implementation of an enhanced recovery protocol in pediatric colorectal surgery.J Pediatr Surg. 2018; 53: 688-692
- Development of a postoperative care pathway for children with renal tumors.J Pediatr Urol. 2018; 14 (e1- e6): 326
- Feasibility of fast track elements in pediatric surgery.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2012; 22: 40-44
- Fast track concepts in routine pediatric surgery: a prospective study in 436 infants and children.Langenbecks Arch Surg. 2009; 394: 529-533
- Surgical complications after nephrectomy for Wilms' tumor.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1992; 175: 507-514
- Guidelines for perioperative care for pancreaticoduodenectomy: enhanced recovery after surgery (ERAS(R)) society recommendations.Clin Nutr. 2012; 31: 817-830
- Fast track surgery in infants and children.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 234-238
- Fast track management is safe and effective after bowel resection in children with Crohn's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 2014; 49 (discussion -3): 99-102
- Open versus minimally-invasive surgical techniques in pediatric renal tumors: a population-level analysis of in hospital outcomes.J Pediatr Urol. 2021; 17 (e1- e7): 534
- Predictors of length of stay in patients having elective colorectal surgery within an enhanced recovery protocol.Int J Surg. 2010; 8: 628-632
- Optimal analgesia during major open and laparoscopic abdominal surgery.Anesthesiol Clin. 2015; 33: 65-78
- Role of epidural analgesia within an ERAS program after laparoscopic colorectal surgery: a review and meta analysis of randomised controlled studies.Surg Res Pract. 2016; 20167543684
- Prospective, double-blind, randomized clinical trial comparing an ERAS pathway with ketorolac and pregabalin versus standard of care plus placebo during live donor nephrectomy for kidney transplant.Am J Transplant. 2019; 19: 1777-1781
- Renal safety of intravenous ketorolac use after donor nephrectomy.Prog Transplant. 2019; 29: 283-286