- •Pure or well differentiated fetal histology has the best outcomes out of all hepatoblastoma histologies.
- •Well differentiated fetal tumor surgically removed at diagnosis are curable without adjuvant chemotherapy.
- •HB completely resected at diagnosis with 100% well differentiated fetal histology is curable with surgery and no adjuvant chemotherapy.
- •Evidence-based surgical guidelines utilizing internationally constructed criteria are crucial for identifying appropriate patients for resection at diagnosis.
Patients and methods
Level of evidence
Abbreviations:HB (hepatoblastoma), PFH (pure fetal histology), COG (Children's oncology group), WDF (well-differentiated fetal histology), PRETEXT (pretreatment extent of disease), AFP (alpha fetoprotein), V (vena cava hepatic veins), P (portal veins), E (extrahepatic disease), F (multifocal disease), R (rupture at diagnosis), C (caudate lobe involvement), N (lymph node involvement), and M (metastatic disease), CR (complete response), EFS (event-free survival), OS (overall survival)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chemotherapeutic approaches for newly diagnosed hepatoblastoma: past, present, and future strategies.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012; 59: 809-812https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24219
- The current management of hepatoblastoma: a combination of chemotherapy, conventional resection, and liver transplantation.J Pediatr. 2005; 146: 204-211https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpeds.2004.09.011
- Primary hepatic tumors of childhood.Hum Pathol. 1983; 14: 512-537https://doi.org/10.1016/S0046-8177(83)80005-7
- Histopathology and prognosis in childhood hepatoblastoma and hepatocarcinoma.Cancer. 1989; 64: 1082-1095https://doi.org/10.1002/1097-0142(19890901)64:5<1082::aid-cncr2820640520>3.0.co;2-g
- Randomized comparison of cisplatin/vincristine/fluorouracil and cisplatin/continuous infusion doxorubicin for treatment of pediatric hepatoblastoma: a report from the Children's cancer group and the pediatric oncology group.J Clin Oncol. 2000; 18: 2665-2675https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2000.18.14.2665
- Complete surgical resection is curative for children with hepatoblastoma with pure fetal histology: a report from the Children's oncology group.J Clin Oncol. 2011; 29: 3301-3306https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2010.29.3837
- Towards an international pediatric liver tumor consensus classification: proceedings of the Los Angeles COG liver tumors symposium.Mod Pathol. 2014; 27: 472-491https://doi.org/10.1038/modpathol.2013.80
E.C. Douglass, M. Reynolds, M. Finegold, A.B. Cantor, A. Glicksman Cisplatin, vincristine, and fluorouracil therapy for hepatoblastoma: a pediatric oncology group study. n.d.:4.
- Risk-adapted treatment for childhood hepatoblastoma.Eur J Cancer. 2004; 40: 411-421https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejca.2003.06.003
- Cisplatin versus cisplatin plus doxorubicin for standard-risk hepatoblastoma.N Engl J Med. 2009; 361: 1662-1670https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0810613
- Sodium thiosulfate for protection from cisplatin-induced hearing loss.N Engl J Med. 2018; 378: 2376-2385https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1801109
- Minimal adjuvant chemotherapy for children with hepatoblastoma resected at diagnosis (AHEP0731): a Children's oncology group, multicentre, phase 3 trial.Lancet Oncol. 2019; 20: 719-727https://doi.org/10.1016/S1470-2045(18)30895-7
- Nonparametric estimation from incomplete observations.J Am Stat Assoc. 1958; 53: 457-481https://doi.org/10.1080/01621459.1958.10501452
- A note on quantifying follow-up in studies of failure time.Control Clin Trials. 1996; 17: 343-346
- Outcome of hepatoblastoma treated with the JPLT-1 (Japanese study group for pediatric liver tumor) protocol-1: a report from the Japanese Study group for pediatric liver tumor.J Pediatr Surg. 2002; 37: 851-856https://doi.org/10.1053/jpsu.2002.32886
- Current chemotherapeutic approaches for hepatoblastoma.Int J Clin Oncol. 2013; 18: 955-961https://doi.org/10.1007/s10147-013-0616-8
- Liver tumour study group of the international society of paediatric oncology. SIOPEL trials using preoperative chemotherapy in hepatoblastoma.Lancet Oncol. 2000; 1: 94-100
- Surgical treatment of hepatoblastoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2012; 59: 800-808https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.24220
- Genomic analysis of hepatoblastoma identifies distinct molecular and prognostic subgroups.Hepatology. 2017; 65: 104-121https://doi.org/10.1002/hep.28888
- Impact of postoperative complications on overall survival of patients with hepatoblastoma.Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2015; 62: 24-28https://doi.org/10.1002/pbc.25240