- •What is currently known about this topic?
- •Thoracoscopic bilateral T3 sympathectomy for primary focal palmar hyperhidrosis in children has excellent short-term outcomes. Data on the long-term outcomes of the operation however are missing.
- •What new information is contained in this article?
- •Despite excellent short-term outcomes, compensatory sweating and recurrence of palmar sweating can occur years after the operation, therefore patients should be followed long-term.
Level of evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hyperhidrosis: an update on prevalence and severity in the United States.Arch Dermatol Res. 2016; 308: 743-749
- Primary hyperhidrosis in children: a review of therapeutics.Pediatr Dermatol. 2021;
- Management of primary focal hyperhidrosis: an algorithmic approach.J Drugs Dermatol JDD. 2021; 20: 523-528
- Management strategies of palmar hyperhidrosis: challenges and solutions.Clin Cosmet Investig Dermatol. 2019; 12: 733-744
- Thoracoscopic bilateral T3 sympathectomy for primary focal hyperhidrosis in children.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 313-316
- Validity and reliability of the hyperhidrosis disease severity scale (HDSS)1.J Am Acad Dermatol. 2004; 50: P51
- A comprehensive approach to the recognition, diagnosis, and severity-based treatment of focal hyperhidrosis: recommendations of the Canadian Hyperhidrosis Advisory Committee.Dermatol Surg. 2007; 33: 908-923
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of T2, T3 or T4, to evaluate the best denervation level for palmar hyperhidrosis.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 129
- Optimal targeting of sympathetic chain levels for treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis: an updated systematic review.Surg Endosc. 2017; 31: 4357-4369
- Evaluation of compensatory hyperhidrosis after sympathectomy: the use of an objective method.Ann Vasc Surg. 2021;
- Quality of life after thoracic sympathectomy for palmar hyperhidrosis: a meta-analysis.Gen Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2020; 68: 746-753
- CT-guided thoracic sympathicolysis versus VATS sympathectomy in the therapeutic concept for severe primary palmar Hyperhidrosis.Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2021;
- Percutaneous CT–guided sympathicolysis with radiofrequency for the treatment of palmar hyperhidrosis.J Vasc Interv Radiol. 2017; 28: 877-885