- •Trisomy 13 and 18 patients have many comorbidities and surgical needs.
- •Early mortality of these patients results in limited knowledge of their surgical outcomes.
- •We review surgical history of trisomy 13 and 18 patients over a 30-year period, including factors associated with mortality.
- •Misdiagnosis of trisomy 13 and 18 may lead to an inappropriate interpretation of mortality and other outcomes.
Level of evidence
Abbreviations:BW (birth weight), CT (classic trisomy), CI (confidence intervals), CDH (congenital diaphragmatic hernia), ECMO (extracorporeal membrane oxygenation), GA (gestational age), HR (hazard ratios), ICD (international classification of disease code), IQR (median with interquartile range), MT (misdiagnosed trisomy), OR (odds ratios), ENT (otolaryngologic or ear nose throat), TEF/EA (tracheoesophageal fistula/esophageal atresia repairs), T13 (trisomy 13), T18 (trisomy 18), VT (variant trisomy)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Perspectives on the care and management of infants with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13: striving for balance.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2012; 24: 672-678https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0b013e3283595031
- Survival of children with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18: a multi-state population-based study.Am J Med Genet A. 2016; 170A: 825-837https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.37495
- Survival and surgical interventions for children with trisomy 13 and 18.JAMA. 2016; 316: 420-428https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.9819
- A validated model for prediction of survival to 6 months in patients with trisomy 13 and 18.Am J Med Genet A. 2021; 185: 806-813https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.62044
- Trisomy 13 and 18-Prevalence and mortality-A multi-registry population based analysis.Am J Med Genet A. 2019; 179: 2382-2392https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.61365
- Congenital anomalies associated with trisomy 18 or trisomy 13: a registry-based study in 16 European countries, 2000-2011.Am J Med Genet A. 2015; 167A: 3062-3069https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.37355
- Safety and efficacy of noncardiac surgical procedures in the management of patients with trisomy 13: a single institution-based detailed clinical observation.Am J Med Genet A. 2018; 176: 1137-1144https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.38678
- Medical interventions and survival by gender of children with trisomy 18.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2016; 172: 272-278https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.c.31522
- Otolaryngologic surgery in children with trisomy 18 and 13.Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2015; 79: 1831-1833https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijporl.2015.08.017
- Impacts of surgical interventions on the long-term outcomes in individuals with trisomy 18.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 2466-2470https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2019.12.009
- Clinical courses of children with trisomy 13 receiving intensive neonatal and pediatric treatment.Am J Med Genet A. 2018; 176: 1941-1949https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.40350
- Outcomes after extracorporeal life support cannulation in pediatric patients with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18.J Surg Res. 2021; 257: 260-266https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jss.2020.07.036
- To operate or not to operate? Assessing NSQIP surgical outcomes in trisomy 18 patients.J Pediatr Surg. 2021; 56: 565-568https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2020.05.037
- Surgical intervention for esophageal atresia in patients with trisomy 18.Am J Med Genet A. 2014; 164A: 324-330https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.36294
- Procedures in the 1st year of life for children with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18, a 25-year, single-center review.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2016; 172: 264-271https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.c.31525
- Long-term outcomes of children with trisomy 13 and 18 after congenital heart disease interventions.Ann Thorac Surg. 2017; 103: 1941-1949https://doi.org/10.1016/j.athoracsur.2017.02.068
- Research electronic data capture (REDCap)–a metadata-driven methodology and workflow process for providing translational research informatics support.J Biomed Inform. 2009; 42: 377-381https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbi.2008.08.010
R Core Team. R: a language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing. 2021; https://www.R-project.org/.
Therneau T. A package for survival analysis in R. 2021; https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=survival.
Kassambara A., Kosinski M., Biecek P. survminer: drawing survival curves using 'ggplot2′. 2021; https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=survminer.
van Buuren S., mice G-OK: Multivariate imputation by chained equations in R. 2011. 2011;45:67. doi:10.18637/jss.v045.i03
- Misdiagnosis of trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 is more common than anticipated.Am J Med Genet A. 2022; : 1-4https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.62937
- Interdisciplinary care of children with trisomy 13 and 18.Am J Med Genet A. 2021; 185: 966-977https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.62051
- Emerging evidence that medical and surgical interventions improve the survival and outcome in the trisomy 13 and 18 syndromes.Am J Med Genet A. 2020; 182: 13-14https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.61370
- Trisomy 18: experience of a reference hospital from the south of Brazil.Am J Med Genet A. 2011; 155A: 1529-1535https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.34088
- Survival with trisomy 18—data from Switzerland.Am J Med Genet A. 2006; 140A: 952-959https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.31172
- Clinical characteristics and survival of trisomy 18 in a medical center in Taipei, 1988–2004.Am J Med Genet A. 2006; 140A: 945-951https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.31173
- Pursuing life-prolonging therapies versus comfort-directed care.Am J Hosp Palliat Care. 2021; 38: 1225-1229https://doi.org/10.1177/1049909120985210
- Parental hopes, interventions, and survival of neonates with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18.Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet. 2016; 172C: 279-287https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.c.31526
- Transitions in care for infants with trisomy 13 or 18.Am J Perinatol. 2017; 34: 887-894https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0037-1600912
- Evolving medical and surgical management of infants with trisomy 18.Curr Opin Pediatr. 2014; 26: 169-176https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0000000000000076
- The impact of cardiac surgery in patients with trisomy 18 and trisomy 13 in Japan.Am J Med Genet A. 2011; 155A: 2641-2646https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.34285
- Cardiac surgery in patients with trisomy 13 and 18: an analysis of the society of thoracic surgeons congenital heart surgery database.J Am Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e012349https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.119.012349
- Management of children with the trisomy 18 and trisomy 13 syndromes: is there a shift in the paradigm of care?.Am J Perinatol. 2021; 38: 1122-1125https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0041-1732363
- Congenital heart surgery on in-hospital mortality in trisomy 13 and 18.Pediatrics. 2017; 140e20170772https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2017-0772
- Medical and surgical interventions and outcomes for infants with trisomy 18 (T18) or trisomy 13 (T13) at children's hospitals neonatal intensive care units (NICUs).J Perinatol. 2021; 41: 1745-1754https://doi.org/10.1038/s41372-021-01111-9
- Clinical features and survival in individuals with trisomy 18: a retrospective one-center study of 44 patients who received intensive care treatments.Mol Med Rep. 2016; 13: 2457-2466https://doi.org/10.3892/mmr.2016.4806
- Nine children over the age of one year with full trisomy 13: a case series describing medical conditions.Am J Med Genet A. 2014; 164A: 2987-2995https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.36689
- Medical procedures and outcomes of Japanese patients with trisomy 18 or trisomy 13: analysis of a nationwide administrative database of hospitalized patients.Am J Med Genet A. 2015; 167A: 1816-1821https://doi.org/10.1002/ajmg.a.37104
- Major anomalies and birth-weight influence NICU interventions and mortality in infants with trisomy 13 or 18.J Perinatol. 2017; 37: 420-426https://doi.org/10.1038/jp.2016.245
- Mortality and Morbidity of VLBW Infants With Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18.Pediatrics. 2014; 133: 226-235https://doi.org/10.1542/peds.2013-1702
- Mortality and resource use following cardiac interventions in children with trisomy 13 and trisomy 18 and congenital heart disease.Pediatr Cardiol. 2019; 40: 349-356https://doi.org/10.1007/s00246-018-2001-x
- Using patient-centered care after a prenatal diagnosis of trisomy 18 or trisomy 13: a review.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171: 382-387https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapediatrics.2016.4798
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Previous Communications: This work was presented at the Scientific Session at the American Pediatric Surgical Association Annual 2021 Meeting.