- •Rectal washouts with primary pull-through (PT) is the preferred management for Hirschsprung's disease.
- •Colostomies are classically preferred in three-stage PT.
- •Nearly 50% of our cohort required a stoma before PT.
- •22% required a stoma post-PT and were more likely to need a long-term stoma.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hirschsprung's disease: present UK practice.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1998; 80: 46-48
- Endorectal "pull-through" without preliminary colostomy in neonates with Hirschsprung's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 1980; 15: 470-471
- Hirschsprung's disease.Pediatr Child Health. 2020; 30: 341-344
- Evolution in the management of Hirschsprung's disease in the UK and Ireland: a national survey of practice revisited.Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 2011; 93: 34-38
- Outcomes at five to eight years of age for children with Hirschsprung's disease.Arch Dis Child. 2020; 106: 484-490
- Functional outcome, quality of life, and 'failures' following pull-through surgery for hirschsprung's disease: a review of practice at a single-center.J Pediatr Surg. 2020; 55: 273-277
- The use of stomas in the early management of Hirschsprung disease: findings of a national, prospective cohort study.J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 52: 1451-1457
- European paediatric surgeons' association survey on the management of hirschsprung disease.Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2017; 27: 96-101
- Hirschsprung's disease in Japan: analysis of 3852 patients based on a nationwide survey in 30 years.J Pediatr Surg. 2005; 40: 197-202
- Contemporary practice patterns in the surgical management of Hirschsprung's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44: 1257-1260
- Management of Hirschsprung disease in Australia and New Zealand: a survey of the Australian and New Zealand association of paediatric surgeons (ANZAPS).Pediatr Surg Int. 2019; 35: 419-423
- Surgery, surgical pathology, and postoperative management of patients with hirschsprung disease.Pediatr Dev Pathol. 2020; 23: 23-39
- How to establish a successful bowel management programme in children: a tertiary paediatric centre experience.Ir J Med Sci. 2019; 188: 211-218
- Examining professionals’ and parents’ views of using transanal irrigation with children: understanding their experiences to develop a shared health resource for education and practise.J Child Health Care. 2014; 18: 145-155
- Long-term outcome of transanal irrigation for children with spina bifida.Spinal Cord. 2015; 53: 216-220
- Indications for and complications of intestinal stomas in the children and adults at a tertiary care hospital in a resource-limited setting: a Tanzanian experience.BMC Gastroenterol. 2019; 19: 157
- Stoma complications: a literature overview.Colorectal Dis. 2010; 12: 958-964
- Avoidance and management of stomal complications.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2013; 26: 112-121
- Stoma Complications.Clin Colon Rectal Surg. 2017; 30: 193-200
- ERNICA guidelines for the management of rectosigmoid Hirschsprung's disease.Oprhanet J Rare Dis. 2020; 15: 164