- •Per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) is a new natural orifice trans luminal endoscopic surgery (NOTES) procedure successfully accomplished in children.
- •This short-term follow-up study with no major complications shows POEM as a safe treatment in experienced hands.
- •Using the adult interventional endoscopy experience in the paediatric cohort with Achalasia contributed to an excellent outcome for affected children.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Treatment and surveillance strategies in achalasia: an update.Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 8: 311-319
- Childhood achalasia: a comprehensive review of disease, diagnosis and therapeutic management.World J Gastrointest Endosc. 2014; 6: 105
- Epidemiological study of achalasia in children.Gut. 1988; 29: 90-93
- The 2018 ISDE achalasia guidelines.Dis Esoph. 2018; 31
- Endoscopic or surgical myotomy in patients with idiopathic achalasia.New Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 2219-2229
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for esophageal achalasia.Endoscopy. 2010; 42: 265-271
- Achalasia: a new clinically relevant classification by high-resolution manometry.Gastroenterology. 2008; 135: 1526-1533
- The Chicago Classification of esophageal motility disorders, V3.0.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2015; 27: 160-174
- Pneumatic balloon dilation in pediatric achalasia: efficacy and factors predicting outcome at a single tertiary pediatric gastroenterology center.Gastrointest Endosc. 2012; 76: 927-932
- Long-term outcomes of peroral endoscopic myotomy for achalasia in pediatric patients: a prospective, single-center study.Gastrointest Endosc. 2015; 81: 91-100
- Laparoscopic Heller myotomy with anterior fundoplication ameliorates symptoms of achalasia in pediatric patients.J Am Coll Surg. 2007; 204: 977-983
- Laparoscopic oesophageal cardiomyotomy without fundoplication in children with achalasia: a 10-year experience.Surg Endosc. 2010; 24: 40-44
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for the treatment of achalasia: a clinical comparative study of endoscopic full-thickness and circular muscle myotomy.J Am Coll Surg. 2013; 217: 442-451
- Multicenter evaluation of clinical efficacy and safety of per-oral endoscopic myotomy in children.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2019; 69: 523-527
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy for the treatment of achalasia in children.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2013; 57: 794-797
- Per oral endoscopic myotomy in children with achalasia cardia.J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2016; 22: 613
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy in children with achalasia: a relatively long-term single-center study.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2018; 66: 257-262
- Per oral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for pediatric achalasia: institutional experience and outcomes.J Pediatr Surg. 2022; (Article in press)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpedsurg.2022.02.017
- Peroral endoscopic myotomy (POEM) for the treatment of pediatric achalasia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Surg Endosc. 2019; 33: 1710-1720