- •3D High resolution anorectal manometry (3D-HRAM) provides useful measurements that help guide treatment of chronic constipation and faecal incontinence in children.
- •3D-HRAM is safe and provides detailed functional morphology of anal sphincters and it is useful to understand underlying pathophysiology of constipation and fecal incontinence in children.
- •This articles demonstrartes that water perfused 3D-HRAM and conventional manometry (CM) profiles are comparable.
Level of Evidence
Abbreviations:EPR (Electronic Patient Record), CM (Conventional Manometry), 3D-HRARM (3D-High Resolution Anorectal Manometry), IAS (Internal Anal Sphincter), RAIR (Rectoanal Inhibitory Reflex), SS (Solid-state), WP (Water-perfused)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pathophysiology of chronic childhood constipation: Functional and morphological evaluation by anorectal manometry and endosonography and colonic transit study.J Pediatr Surg. 2013 Apr; 48; (RAM): 806-812
- Anal canal pressures in the diagnosis of Hirschsprung's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 1967; 2: 544-552
- High-resolution anorectal manometry in children with functional constipation with or without fecal incontinence.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2020 Sep 1; 32
- Rectoanal pressures and rectal sensitivity studies in chronic childhood constipation.Gastroenterology. 1979; 77: 330-336
- Abnormal rectoanal function in children recovered from chronic constipation and encopresis.Gastroenterology. 1984; 87: 1299-1304
- Idiopathic constipation in childhood is associated with thickening of the internal anal sphincter.J Pediatr Surg. 1997; 32: 1041-1044
- Modulation of abnormal defecation dynamics by biofeedback treatment in chronically constipated children with encopresis.J Pediatr. 1990; 116: 214-222
- Values from three-dimensional high-resolution anorectal manometry analysis of children without lower gastrointestinal symptoms.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016 Jul 1; 14 (993-1000.e3)
- Methods of anorectal manometry vary widely in clinical practice: results from an international survey.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2017 Aug 1; 29
- An approach to the diagnosis and management of Rome IV functional disorders of chronic constipation.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020; 14: 39-46
- The management of chronic constipation and related faecal incontinence in childhood.Arch Dis Child Educ Pract Ed. 2005; 90
- Botulinum toxin, a new treatment modality for chronic idiopathic constipation in children: long-term follow-up of a double-blind randomized trial.J Pediatr Surg. 2007; 42: 672-680
- Pathophysiology of chronic childhood constipation: functional and morphological evaluation by anorectal manometry and endosonography and colonic transit study.J Pediatr Surg. 2013; 42: 672-680
- Functional morphology of anal sphincter complex unveiled by high definition anal manometery and three dimensional ultrasound imaging.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2011; 23: 1013-e460
- High resolution and high definition anorectal manometry and pressure topography: diagnostic advance or a new kid on the block?.Curr Gastroenterol Rep. 2013; 15 (360–360)
- Three-dimensional high-resolution anorectal manometry: does it allow automated analysis of sphincter defects?.Colorectal disease. 2015; 17: O202-O207
- Phenotypic identification and classification of functional defecatory disorders using high-resolution anorectal manometry.Gastroenterology. 2013; 144 (.e2.): 314-322
- Longitudinal and radial characteristics of intra-anal pressures in children using 3D high-definition anorectal manometry: new observations.Am J Gastroenterol. 2013; 108: 1918-1928
- Comparison of longitudinal and radial characteristics of intra-anal pressures using 3D high-definition anorectal manometry between children with anoretal malformations and functional constipation.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2021; 33 (-n/a): e13971
- Anorectal manometry results in defecation disorders.Arch Dis Child. 1983; 58: 257-261
- Manometric tests of anorectal function in 90 healthy children: a clinical study from Kuwait.J Pediatr Surg. 2009; 44 (Sep): 1786-1790
- Manometry, profilometry, and endosonography: normal physiology and anatomy of the anal canal in healthy children.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 1994; 18: 68-77
- Comparison of anorectal function as measured with high-resolution and high-definition anorectal manometry.Dig Dis. 2022; 40: 448-457
- Anorectal motility abnormalities in children with encopresis and chronic constipation.J Pediatr. 2011; 158: 293-296
- Anorectal manometry in children with chronic functional constipation.Arq Gastroenterol. 2005; 42: 178-181
- Thickening of the internal anal sphincter in idiopathic constipation in children.Pediatr Surg Int. 2004; 20 (23): 817-823
- Gastrointestinal transit time, frequency of defecation, and anorectal manometry in healthy and constipated children.J Pediatr. 1985; 106: 379-382
- Colonic transit and anorectal manometry in chronic idiopathic constipation.Arch Intern Med. 1986; 146: 1713-1716
- High-resolution anorectal manometry: a comparison of solid-state and water-perfused catheters.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2017; 29 (-n/a): e13124