- •Some bowel dysfunction remains after pullthrough in the majority of patients with hirschsprung disease (HD).
- •Recto-anal inhibitory reflex (RAIR) is present in 37.5% patients after pullthrough.
- •Anal resting pressures (ARP) and reappearance of RAIR do not predict bowel continence or control during follow-up.
Level of Evidence
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Pediatric intestinal motility disorders.World J Gastroenterol. 2015; 21: 9683-9687
- Long-term results of treatment of Hirschsprung's disease.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2004; 13: 273-285
- Hepatocellular carcinoma in biliary atresia: King's College Hospital experience.J Pediatr. 2011; 159 (e1): 617-622
- Gastrointestinal function after surgical correction of Hirschsprung's disease: long-term follow-up in 135 patients.J Pediatr Surg. 1995; 30: 655-658
- Hirschsprung's disease. Evaluation of mortality and long-term function in 260 cases.Arch Surg. 1992; 127 (discussion 41-2): 934-941
- Long-term outcomes of Hirschsprung's disease.Semin Pediatr Surg. 2012; 21: 336-343
- Anorectal manometry in children with defecation disorders.BSPGHAN Motility Working Group Consensus Statement. 2020; 32: e13797
- Development of a new scoring system for the evaluation of incontinence and constipation in children.Coloproctology. 2003; 25: 10-15
- Comparative review of functional outcomes post surgery for Hirschsprung's disease utilizing the paediatric incontinence and constipation scoring system.Pediatr Surg Int. 2012; 28: 1071-1078
- Post-operative anorectal manometry in children with Hirschsprung disease: a systematic review.Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2021; : e14311
- Values from three-dimensional high-resolution anorectal manometry analysis of children without lower gastrointestinal symptoms.Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2016; 14 (e3): 993-1000
- Importance of anorectal manometry after definitive surgery for Hirschsprung's disease in children. 2013; 10: 1-4
- Functional outcome after Swenson's operation for Hirshsprung's disease.Saudi J Gastroenterol. 2010; 16: 30-34
- Interest of anorectal manometry during long-term follow-up of patients operated on for Hirschsprung's disease.J Neurogastroenterol Motil. 2018; 24: 70-78
- Long-term functional, manometric, and endosonographic evaluation of patients operated upon with the Duhamel technique.Pediatr Surg Int. 1998; 13: 24-28
- Long-term anal sphincter performance after surgery for Hirschsprung's disease.J Pediatr Surg. 1997; 32: 1443-1446
- Qualitative and quantitative analysis of rectoanal inhibitory reflex (RAIR) modulation in functional bowel disorders.Int J Colorectal Dis. 2011; 26: 501-505
- Control of the internal anal sphincter (manometric study with human subjects).Pflügers Archiv. 1977; 370: 233-239
- Internal anal sphincter: advances and insights.Dis Colon Rectum. 1998; 41: 1297-1311
- Rectoanal reflex in healthy subject.Boll Soc Ital Biol Sper. 1979; 55: 877-883