- •We provide a rare snapshot of paediatric surgical training in a developing middle-income country in South-East Asia.
- •While there is near parity in gender representation in the speciality, female paediatric surgical trainees remain more likely than male trainees to face work-life conflicts.
- •The most common issues raised were concerns regarding hands-on opportunities and the importance of support in balancing work and personal needs.
Level of study
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Mahmud M.N. A long journey of hope - the development of paediatric surgery in Malaysia. Berita CSM, College of Surgeons, Academy of Medicine of Malaysia. Oct 2012.
- Discrimination, abuse, harassment, and burnout in surgical residency training.N Engl J Med. 2019; 381: 1741-1752https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMsa1903759
- SOSAS 4 country research group. Epidemiology of pediatric surgical needs in low-income countries.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12e0170968https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0170968
- An overview of the population dynamics in Malaysia.Malays J Reprod Health. 1988; 6: 23-46
- Does a surgical career affect a woman's childbearing and fertility? A report on pregnancy and fertility trends among female surgeons.J Am Coll Surg. 2014; 219: 944-950https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.07.936
- Incidence of infertility and pregnancy complications in US female surgeons.JAMA Surg. 2021; 156: 905-915https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2021.3301
- The long road to parenthood: assisted reproduction, surrogacy, and adoption among US surgeons.Ann Surg. 2022; 275: 106-114https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000005253
- Pregnancy and parenthood remain challenging during surgical residency: a systematic review.Acad Med. 2020; 95: 1607-1615https://doi.org/10.1097/ACM.0000000000003351
- Perceptions of surgery residents about parental leave during training.JAMA Surg. 2019; 154: 952-958https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2019.2985
- Gender and specialty influences on personal and professional life among trainees.Ann Surg. 2019; 269: 383-387https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000002580
- Work-family conflict impact on psychological safety and psychological well-being: a job performance model.Front Psychol. 2020; 11: 475https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2020.00475
- Paternity leave during surgical training: perspectives of male residents.J Surg Educ. 2022; (S1931-7204(22)00101-5)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jsurg.2022.04.012
- Not just bystanders: a qualitative study on the vicarious effects of surgical training on the wellness of support persons for trainees.Ann Surg. 2021; 274: e295-e300https://doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000004890
- A perspective on paediatric surgical training: opportunities and challenges.S Afr J Surg. 2018; 56 (Mar): 3-6
- The challenges facing training in pediatric surgery worldwide.Front Pediatr. 2013; 1: 24https://doi.org/10.3389/fped.2013.00024
- Overview of a novel paediatric surgical simulation-based medical education programme in Myanmar.ANZ J Surg. 2020; 90: 1925-1932https://doi.org/10.1111/ans.16200
- Low-fidelity paediatric surgical simulation: description of models in low-resource settings.World J Surg. 2019; 43: 1193-1197https://doi.org/10.1007/s00268-019-04921-3
- Development and validation of a novel 3D-printed simulation model for open oesophageal atresia and tracheo-oesophageal fistula repair.Pediatr Surg Int. 2022; 38: 133-141https://doi.org/10.1007/s00383-021-05007-9
- Association of surgeon-patient sex concordance with postoperative outcomes.JAMA Surg. 2022; 157: 146-156https://doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2021.6339